9

"Even worse," she said. "My family is moving here."

"I don't see the bad part," I said trying to sound as innocent as I could.

"Good," she murmured. "It's better that way."

"Emma are you going to tell me what's up?" I asked.

"They don't let me get anywhere near ya, remember?" she said, but I felt like there was more to it. I wanted to ask, but we weren't particularly close so, I rather kept my mouth shut.

"Oh right," I said finally, after a few long moments.

"I'll guess well just have to sneak. Maybe I'll start examining slugs too." She chuckled.

"Uhm, listen, I don't mind, since this is the first real conversation I've had with someone in a month," I started and saw pity on her face. "But I can't help to wonder... You've got so many other friends, why did you choose to tell me?"

She looked down and said. "Well I do have loads of friends, but I'm doing this project with you." She sounded a bit grumpy, like she was offended that I even asked such a question.

We cut all our classes that day, simply talking about unimportant stuff like our favorite fruit or least favorite beverages. At the end of our hanging she dismissed herself, saying that she has to help them unpack.

I was in shock after she left. I thought that the arrival of her family would not be here so quick, but at the end of the day I just had to face the cold truth: Im about to lose my only friend again.

---

I came to school next day earlier than usual. Ricky was there, casually chatting with Melina as always, and the popular crowd was doing their things. Through the room, I caught Fiona's eyes and she smiled, which was something so foreign to me that I didn't even manage to smile back. She noticed this and looked away awkwardly. I went to my locker and noticed that Emma came to school. She looked tired, her eyes were big and red, she had blue circles under them.

I wanted to approach her, but I didn't. And not just because of Enoch's eyes piercing me through the crowd, I just didn't know what to say.

But then... Then she started walking to me. It was the most beautiful thing ever. No woman ever walked to me willingly. I felt great. And when she finally came by, I grinned like a fool, but then... Then she walked by straight to Enoch and my heart dropped down to my pants. But then... Then she turned around and actually came to me this time.

"My family's preparing the circus today, do they'll be busy and they won't notice ya. Come over at 5."

I was very tempted to say "5? What are we? From kindergarten?" but her face madee it seem as if she wasn't in the joking mood so I just nodded humbly and watched her go away.

---

I came by a bit late. It was 5.15pm and I needed Olive's help to find Emma. She was busy with something as well, because she disappeared the moment we entered the house and I was on my own.

I slowly started walking following Enoch's voice that was becoming clearer and clearer with each step.

"We've gone over this Emma," he said. "I don't feel anything for you, and you don't feel anything for me. I don't like him... Hell I even hated him at one point or another! And your father will explode once he finds out but if you really like him, go and chase your dreams."

I entered the room just as I saw Emma with a happy grin hug Enoch. When she noticed me, she quickly let go of him and her smile widened. "Oh thank god!" she exclaimed. "I thought you weren't gonna come... You're late," she said and punched my shoulder.

And then we went to study. All day long, Emma was in a good mood, telling jokes, mostly about me, and I laughed, but not that much, because I couldn't get her conversation with Enoch out of my mind. Who were they talking about? I mean Enoch hated nearly everyone from school so it could be anyone. But most of all... he hated me.