One

I remember my life in numbers. 11 is how many years since my dad passed. 5 is how old I was when he past. And 7 is the number of years I've been beaten and yelled out. Or at least that's what I've been told.

I go over this in my head as I lay in bed trying to convince myself to get up and get ready for school. I finally decide to get up and hop in the shower.

I begin to think about how I got to this point in my life. The point where I never see my mom. The point where I'm terrified to say how I actually feel infront of him.

He was so nice when I first met him. When ever me and my mom would go visit him or whenever my mom and him would go on dates I would always get little gift. He would called me his little girl. He said he loved me. Him and my mom got married and that's when everything changed. Now days all I feel like is his little punching bag.

I step out of the shower and look in the mirror. My stomach, back, arms, and face are all covered in bruises from his drunken state last night. I think he blames me for my mom not being here.

I begin to cake on foundation in hope of cover the blues and purples that cover my face. I then walk over to my closet and pull out a long sleeve shirt in order to cover up those bruises.

Theres only one other person I've told about my stepdad. Andrew. He has been my best friend since freshman year. He's also the guy I'm in love with. Andrew does not understand why I stay with my stepdad. The truth is I have nowhere else to go.

After I'm finished getting ready I head downstairs to get some breakfast and my keys.

"Come here you little whore!" Damon yelled as I made my way to the kitchen. Of course he was sitting in his recliner with a beer in his hand. That's all he ever did drink and work on his cars or motorcycles.

"Yes Damon?" I asked while walking over to him.

"Where do you think you're going, you little slut?!"

"I'm going to school. I have to go pick Andrew up." I answered trying to sound as sweet as possible.

"As soon as you get your ass home, you will clean this entire house and who the hell is Andrew?" He asked snarling at me.

"Yes sir I will. Andrew is my friend but I wouldn't expect you to know that." I answered adding a little sass towards the end.

"Don't you dare speak to me like that you stupid little bitch!" He began to scream.

I begin to run to the door before Damon has the chance to get up and catch me. Once I get to the door, I have trouble opening it. It what felt like a second I was on the ground holding my stinging cheek and wiping blood from my lip. Damon had gotten me again.

"Don't ever talk to me like that again. Do you understand?!" I shake my head showing that I understand. With one kick to my rib cage, Damon walks back to his recliner.

I slowly raise up off the ground and head out the door. I get in my car and head to Andrew's house.

The whole way there I try to think up an excuse for my bloody lip. Something like I ran into a wall or I fell down some stairs.

When I arrive to Andrew's house I take one last look in my mirror before getting out. I ring the doorbell and wait.

"Hey Mars!" Andrew says not looking at me. My real name is Marlowe Lane Davenport but Andrew has always called me Mars.

"Hey Andy." I say trying to hold back my tears. Andrew notices this and looks up meeting my gaze. He immediately pulls me inside and rushes me to his bathroom. He turns the water on and begins to wipe the blood off my busted lip. He then reaches in my drawer (yes I have my own drawer) and pulls out some foundation and hands it to me. I do my best to cover up the imperfections that Damon has left.

Andrew just looks at me and for the first time I notice he is trying to hold back tears.

"Andy please don't cry." I say falling into his warm embrace.

"How can I not? I love you so much and it hurts me to see him do this to you. You're my best friend and I hate seeing you like this." Andrew sadly said finally letting the tears roll along with me.

"Andy we gotta go. We can't be late for school or MBB will be all over us." Andrew began to laugh at that.

"If I can still smile and laugh through this, than you can to." I say earning a tight squeeze and a kiss on the forehead from Andy.

We get in my car and head to Roosevelt High school. Most people hate school but I love it. It's my escape from home. It's that time that I don't have to be worried about being hit or yelled at. Its my me time.

We pull up and park. We get out of the car and Andrew drapes his arm over my shoulders as we prepare ourselves for another day of high school.

************************************

Hey guysss. I hope you enjoy. I have big plans for this book. Please comment, vote, and share! 😘

~Dakota👑