Chapter 8: Stage Two of Initiation

I woke up the next morning to the sound of rustling in the dorm. Turns out that it was just the Amity girl above me being restless. I turned over and tried to go back to sleep, it was only 3:00 am. I tossed and turned for a few minutes then gave up. I got up and got ready quietly and headed to the training center. 

The walk there was quiet and somewhat peaceful. When I arrived I opened the heavy doors and stepped inside, making sure to close the door behind me. I switched on the light, and headed to the middle of the room to stretch. After I had stretched, I ran a few laps around the room then decided to warm up on the punching bag some.

Punch after punch after punch. Each one got more painful, but I kept punching. I couldn't hear anything other than my fists hitting the bag, harder, faster, stronger. My knuckles began to bleed, which is what made me stop.

I walked over to the first aid kit and began to wrap my knuckles. As I was wrapping I heard the heavy door open. I turned slightly and saw Eric. I just turned back around and continued to wrap my knuckles. I saw a shadow standing over me, what does he want now? He lightly grabbed my hands into his and finished wrapping. Then without saying anything, he walked off and went to do whatever he was going to do in the first place.

"Thanks." I said just loud enough for him to hear.

"No problem." He replied.

"Are you here to just help me again?" I said laughing a little.

"No." He said flatly, "You told me to do nothing, I came here to work out on my own, you are not even supposed to be here initiate."

I stopped laughing, "This, this is why I said nothing was wrong." I said. "You're the one that kept pushing for an answer, it's not my fault you got an answer you didn't like."

"Because I knew something was wrong. You wouldn't do as well in initiation if something was bothering you. Your welcome." He said.

"Well I'm fine now. I'm dauntless, had to get over it. And I did." I said, and I was being completely serious, I don't know what was up with me last night.

"Good." Was all he replied.

"Good." I said.

I walked over to the pull up bar and began doing some pull ups, trying to mimic what I had seen him do before. I did 10 pull ups then dropped to the floor and did 10 push ups. I went through this a few times before I was stopped by a large hand grasping my upper arm and pulling me to my feet. "What are you doing?" Eric asked.

"What does it look like? I'm working out." I snapped back, pulling at my arm. However, he kept a firm grip on my arm.

"It looks like you are trying to distract me." He replied.

"Wasn't my goal, I cant help that you get distracted by me working out." I said.

"Its 4:00 am, why are you even awake?" He asked.

"I could ask you the same question, couldn't I?" I replied. I don't know why it mattered that I was here. I wasn't hurting anyone.

He pushed me against the wall, "Yes, but that's not what I asked."

I sighed, "I just couldn't sleep, other people in the dorm had been keeping me awake, so I decided to be productive." I said. "So, if you would be so kind, you could help me work on my technique for stage two. You know, instead of pushing me up against a wall like you always do." I smirked at the last part. "Why are you here so early?"

"I am always here this early, because I have no other time to work out during the day." He replied.

"Okay, good answer." I said. "Don't take this personally, but I have more working out to do. Not that I don't love being pinned against a wall by you or anything." I stated. I pushed him back and walked over to the knives.