†Chapter 3 [ J o s h ]

We had been driving for hours, and my hands hadn't stopped shaking the whole time. I know I should be tired, but the adrenaline is the only thing that is keeping me moving. Nate has been asking the past hours to let him take the wheel, but I just can't let go of the steering wheel. Its like the only thing that is keeping me from losing my mind. Every time I look in the mirror my face is pale, I look like I'm deathly ill. We had been driving for six to seven hours and I was running low on gas, but we got far with what we had in our tanks. I guess living in a little state like Maine is good in this situation. The highway was surprisingly not that crowded, probably because crashed cars and dead people. 

"Nate could you call Alex?" I asked, not taking my eyes off the road. Nate took out his phone and started dialing Alex's number, he put the phone up to my ear. "Yeah, Alex, we need to stop for gas." I stated, and waited for Alex's reply.

"David and Heather need gas too." Alex answered, and I could hear Matthew talking in the background. "Guys calm down, we'll be quick about it. I'm sure mostly everyone has to piss anyway." Alex shouted, and the talking in the background went quiet. "Okay, Josh you need to stay on my ass like always do you understand?" I nodded my head, and then realized he couldn't see me. 

"Y-Yeah." I replied, and Alex hung up the phone. I kept on Alex's ass the whole time and turned onto the street which led into Biddeford.

"There's a gas station coming up, I think that's where Alex is going." Dustin said, examining the map that Nate had handed him when we began our journey. The sound of paper rustling made me jump and accidentally press on the brake. "And turn right here, on Chicopee Lane." 

"I'm following Alex I know when to fucking turn!" I shouted, turning to glare at Dustin. I quickly put my attention back onto Alex's car which was in front of me. Nate put a hand on my shoulder and gave it a squeeze. I took in a deep breath as we pulled into the gas station which had a little store called Jaky's. I waited for Alex to get out of his car before getting out of mine.

"Okay, everyone get out of your damn cars!" Alex shouted, waving a hand for everyone to come near him. Matthew was herding Izabelle and Emma out of the white van and towards our captain. I put a hand over my mouth as I started to pick up the smell of the dead. I gagged, and tried not to throw up. Nate pat my back, and I let out a long sigh. I turned to look at him and he gave a small smile.

"You look like a ghost, Jonesy." He told me, ruffling my hair. I nodded my head, letting out a chuckle as I put my arm around his shoulders and continued towards Alex. 

"Okay I'm sure most of you have to piss. But before that happens; Matthew I want you to come with me and we will clean out the store."  Alex turned to Matthew, who nodded his head. They got out their guns from the car and Matthew kneeled down in front of the two youngest girls, talking to them.

"Why do you think Matthew acts all protective over Emma? She's not even his family." I asked Nate, shrugging my shoulders. Nate pulled away from me, giving me a weird expression. "What?" 

"Sometimes you are fucking stupid Jonesy." Nate muttered, rolling his eyes. "Even though we both know he never liked Emma much, she's kind of like his sister now. He is the only one she has now that's close to being family. Plus she's the youngest of this whole damn group." He told me, letting out a sigh. I turned back over to the two girls who were watching Matthew walking off with Alex to the store. 

"Hey Jackie! The store is named after you!" Lewis laughed, pointing up at the sign that said Jaky. "Even if its spelled different." He shrugged, a big smile on his face. Heather walked over to him and punched him in the gut, causing him to bend over holding his stomach. 

"Lewis getting beat up by a girl!" Nate laughed, pointing at Lewis. He glared at Nate, slowly standing back up straight. Lewis ran at Nate and they began to play fight each other, I walked over to my truck and realized David was already filling up my vehicle with gas.