Chapter Eight

As Demi drove closer to the beach, Stefani couldn't help but panic inside. There were people everywhere; literally everywhere. Demi noticed the change in Stefani’s behaviour instantly. “Don’t worry Stef, we’re going somewhere quieter.” Demi assured, winking at Stefani in the rear vision mirror.

Stefani breathed a sigh of relief. She couldn't have fathomed getting out the car with that many people around. She probably would have had a mental breakdown within her first five steps from the car if Demi made her get with all of that chaos.

Finally, Demi pulled her car into an abandoned parking lot overlooking the beach. The only other people Stefani could see were some surfers and people walking their dogs. “It’s beautiful” Stefani smiled. She had never seen the ocean before. “Can we go down to the water?” She asked excitedly.

Demi smiled. “Of course we can, silly”

Before Demi finished talking, Stefani was already half way to the water. “This is so cool” She screamed joyfully as she scooped up sea soaked sand in her tiny hands.

“Don’t get too wet” Marissa cooed. “You’ll catch a cold” She added, sounding just like a mother would. L.A might have nice weather, but it was approaching the cold season.

Marissa and Demi sat on the sand, watching Stefani excitedly play with the cold sea water, getting the bottom of her skinny jeans drenched. “She’s precious” Demi said proudly.

Marissa was so focused on her own thoughts, reflecting on what happened earlier that she neglected to reply. She watched as Stefani played so happily on the beach. How could she be the same person that she saw before? How was it possible for such a young child to be so messed up?

“Earth to Marissa” Demi said playfully, noticing the trance like world she was in. Marissa snapped back to reality, forcing a smile so Demi wouldn't ask questions.

“Sorry” Marissa replied with a nervous giggle trailing off into the atmosphere.

“You okay?” Demi asked quietly. She could see straight through Marissa’s act.

“Yeah, why wouldn't I be?” Marissa replied.

“You just seem a little spaced out, that’s all…” Demi knew something was wrong; she wasn't an idiot.

“I’m just tired.” Marissa replied somewhat truthfully. She couldn't in a million years break the promise she made Stefani, even though it was practically killing her not to.

Marissa rested her head on Demi’s shoulder, looking up into her best friends eyes. She had never felt so guilty in her entire life.

“We will have an early night tonight.” Demi assured Marissa, tightly wrapping her arms around her shoulder.

Marissa smiled toothlessly. “Should we call Stefani in now? It’s getting a little cold”

“Stefani” Demi called, signalling her hand for Stefani to come to her. Stefani quickly washed the sand off her hands with the cold seawater and immediately ran towards Demi and Marissa.

“Did you have fun baby girl?” Demi asked, smiling at how adorable Stefani looked.

“Yes!” Stefani exclaimed. For once she wasn't sick or unhealthy or a fat pig who puked her food up; for once she was a kid enjoying the fresh breeze in her hair and the sand between her toes.

“I’m so glad!” Demi replied enthusiastically, pulling Stefani on to her lap. “I think we better get you changed into some dry clothes, baby”

Stefani nodded, only just realizing how cold she was. Her teeth began chattering uncontrollably. “Oh, you’re so cold.” Demi remarked, noticing the pale purple shade that Stefani’s lips had turned.