Chapter Fifteen

''''' THIS CHAPTER IS NOT EDITED YET BUT I GOT CARRIED AWAY WITH WRITING AND IT IS LONG AND I HAVE TO GO TO DANCE SOON OKAY!!!!!''''''

Demi booked three front row tickets to the ballet and logged off the computer; Stefani would be so excited for the little surprise she was planning for her after the show. “Come on sweetie, let’s go unpack your bags while we wait for tonight.” Demi said sweetly, ushering Stefani upstairs with her luggage from the flight.

“Dem, I’m just going out for a bit. I’ll be back in an hour or so.” Marissa said just as Demi and Stefani reached the top of the stairs. Demi nodded and waved as Marissa grabbed her keys and left the apartment.

“Alright, what needs to be washed?” Demi asked, sitting on the carpet next to Stefani in front of the open luggage bag. Stefani neatly formed two piles on the floor; one clean and one dirty.

“You’re so neat!” Demi laughed, seeing how perfectly Stefani made each pile. For dirty clothes, they were sure getting special treatment. Stefani smirked as she took out the last few items from her bag and slid it under the bed.

“Can you teach me how to use the washing machine?” Stefani asked sweetly. Demi shook her head; Stefani already did so much around the house without being asked. The least she could do was do her washing for her.

“Don’t be silly, I can do it for you.” Demi replied. Stefani put on the pleading puppy-dog eyes. What kind of child actually wanted to learn how to use a washing machine? Demi chuckled to herself.

“Fine!” Demi laughed. “Come on kid, let’s learn how to use the washing machine.” She sighed.

Stefani smiled contently and followed Demi downstairs into the laundry area. “Okay, first you put your clothes in here like this and shut the door.” Stefani nodded enthusiastically. “Then you open this little compartment and pour in the soap. Then you press this button here and wallah, all done!”

“It’s that easy?” Stefani asked, her eyes wide with amusement. Demi nodded and put her arm around Stefani’s shoulder.

“Sure is!” Demi replied. “Now, let’s go put those clean clothes back in the closet.”

Stefani skipped up the stairs like a typical eleven year old and ran back to her bedroom. Demi followed behind considering if it was the right time to have ‘the talk’ yet.

Stefani must have sensed the sudden tenseness, because she automatically withdrew from her happy-go-lucky state when Demi finally joined her. “What’s wrong?” She asked curiously.

Demi shook off her thoughts; it wasn't the right time. “Nothing, it’s fine.” Demi lied as she helped Stefani place all of her clean clothes on the hangers in the closet.

Stefani gave Demi an odd look. “You sure?” She asked like a grown up. Sometimes Demi found it hard to believe that Stefani was only eleven; she acted like a twenty year old most of the time.

Demi nodded and smiled reassuringly. “Honey, I’m home.” A familiar voice cooed from down the stairs. Demi breathed a sigh of relief; Marissa.

“I’ve got a surprise for y’all!” Marissa yelled excitedly. Demi and Stefani both looked at each other and raced down the stairs. Demi let Stefani win, as much as it hurt her pride to do so.

Marissa stood at the bottom of the stairs with three giant takeaway Starbucks cups emitting heavy clouds of steam from the small holes in the lids. “OMG PUMPKIN SPICE?” Demi asked excitedly, smelling the sweet smell of cinnamon and pumpkin in the air.

Marissa’s smile grew larger as she nodded enthusiastically. Stefani gulped in fear. “It’s only milk” She whispered to herself in attempt to stop the thoughts from taking over her mind. “It’s only milk” She repeated again, grabbing the cup that Marissa was holding in front of her.