7. YOU WHAT!?

It's been three days since Elio and I had our first affair, and to be honest, the memory of it lingers in my mind far too often. I catch myself replaying every moment, every touch, and every word. The rush, the intensity—I can't stop thinking about it, and now, I can't wait for our next encounter.

But before I can dive too deep into the fantasy, Luke's voice snaps me back to reality.

"Earth to Jaidyn!" Luke says, waving a hand in front of my face, his eyes bright and playful.

I blink and shake my head, pulling myself from thoughts of Elio. "Sorry, what were you saying?"

Luke chuckles, clearly amused by my distraction. "I said, we should go eat at your dad's work today. I've never been there, and you're always bragging about how good it is." He leans forward, his blue eyes fixed on me, curious and sincere.

My mind takes a quick detour, thinking about what a terrible idea this is. Elio could be there. What if we run into him? I quickly push the thought aside and smile at Luke. "Sure, we haven't hung out in ages, so it'll be nice to catch up. Plus, my dad loves you—he'll probably give you a discount." I laugh, knowing that my dad wouldn't charge us at all. He'd likely slap an employee discount on the bill and pay for it himself.

Luke grins, his smile always so easy and genuine. "It's a date, then."

"Yeah..." I trail off, suddenly remembering an important detail. "Oh, wait. I can't go dressed like this. I'll need to go home and change first. My dad's too busy to take me, and he definitely won't let me drive myself."

Luke's smile only grows as he reaches across the table and takes my hand. "I can drive you home, and I'll pick you up when you're ready."

His touch is warm, and for a moment, guilt washes over me. I hate keeping this secret from him, especially when Luke is being so sweet. He has no idea that while I told him I wasn't ready for a relationship until graduation, I've been sneaking around with Elio. This secret weighs heavy on me, but telling him would destroy our friendship, and that's something I'm not ready to risk.

"Thanks, Luke," I say, giving his hand a gentle squeeze.

______________________________

When I get home, I waste no time jumping into the shower, the warm water rushing over me as I try to shake off the lingering thoughts of Elio and focus on tonight. After drying my hair, I'm faced with a monumental decision—what to wear. My dad works at one of the most exclusive restaurants in the city, one that draws a crowd of high society, so I can't just show up looking ordinary.

I pace back and forth in my room, studying the three dresses laid out on my bed. The first is a white lace dress, delicate and pretty, but maybe too reserved for tonight. The second is a vibrant red dress that hugs my body, but it might be too formal. The third is a black, floral-patterned dress—fitted in all the right places, but still casual enough for a dinner date. This is a fashion emergency, and I know exactly who to call.

"Laynie!" I yell into the phone as soon as she answers my FaceTime call.

She rolls her eyes but smiles at me. "What's going on now, Jai? You sound like the world is ending."

"I somehow agreed to a dinner date with Luke, and now I have no idea what to wear," I groan dramatically, knowing exactly what her response will be.

"YOU WHAT?!" Laynie shouts, her eyes wide with disbelief. She's always been on Team Luke, thinking he and I are meant to be together, so my sudden decision has clearly shocked her. "Jai, you better tell me everything after, but first, let me see what you've picked out."

I flip the camera and show her the three dresses, my nerves still a bit frazzled.

Laynie takes a minute, carefully studying each option. "Okay, I've seen you in all of these before. The red dress is too much—it's super elegant, but this isn't prom. The white one's cute, but too long for a casual dinner. Go with the black, floral one. It fits you perfectly, and it makes your boobs look amazing!" She laughs, and I can't help but laugh with her.

"Good call," I say, feeling a bit more confident. "And shoes? What about shoes?"

"Go simple," Laynie advises. "Wear the black flats I got you for Christmas. They'll tie the outfit together without making it look too fancy."

I smile, grateful for her fashion wisdom. "Thanks, Laynie. I seriously don't know what I'd do without you. Oh, and what about my hair?"

"Just straighten it, and keep your makeup light. You'll look perfect," she reassures me with a smile.

"How did I get so lucky to have you as my best friend?" I say, teasing her as I start to get ready.

"Yeah, yeah, now hurry up and finish getting ready. I expect a full play-by-play tomorrow."

I roll my eyes dramatically. "Okay, okay, I'll tell you everything. Thanks, Laynie."

"Bye, girl! And remember—you look amazing!" she says before ending the call.

______________________________

Somehow, I manage to finish getting ready in less than thirty minutes. Dressed in my black floral dress, with my hair straightened and makeup done just as Laynie suggested, I check the time. It's 5:24 p.m., and Luke should be here in six minutes. I take a quick look in the mirror, satisfied with the way the dress hugs my body and accentuates my curves. Laynie was right—it's the perfect choice.

I grab my phone, keys, and a little extra cash, stuffing everything into my wallet before heading to the living room to wait for Luke. I settle onto the sofa, glancing at my reflection in the nearby mirror one last time. A mixture of excitement and guilt swirls inside me, but I push the guilt away for tonight. This is just dinner with a friend... right?

As the minutes tick by, I catch myself thinking about Elio again, wondering what it would be like if he were the one picking me up. Would things be as simple as this with him, or is that fire between us too wild to exist in the real world? The sound of a car pulling up outside pulls me from my thoughts.

Luke's here.