9. Hi Baby

I began loving Saturdays even more since I started going to Bozza's every weekday after school. I'd finish my homework before the restaurant closed, sometimes even getting a head start by asking teachers for assignments that were due weeks later. It gave me a sense of relief to be ahead of everything. Before this routine, I used to spend Saturdays buried in homework and staying up until midnight, trying to catch up on everything. Now, Saturdays were free, and I could enjoy them, feeling a lot more relaxed.

This Saturday was no different, and I was in a great mood as I slipped into some ripped skinny jeans, my favorite TØP shirt, and my red Converse. This outfit was practically my uniform—comfortable, casual, and 100% me. I walked out of my room and headed straight to our small kitchen. Ever since Mom passed away, Dad and I downsized to a smaller apartment. It made sense for just the two of us.

"Morning, honey. I made you a ham and cheese omelet with your favorite strawberry milkshake," Dad said, smiling as I walked in. I loved that he was a chef; it meant I got gourmet meals every day. I'd never tasted anything he made that I didn't love.

"Thanks, Dad," I said, sitting at the dining table and devouring the delicious breakfast.

______________________________

After breakfast, I tried calling Laynie. We had planned to go prom dress shopping today, but she wasn't answering.

"Laynie, answer my call."

"Laynie, why aren't you picking up?"

"Where the hell are you? I'm at the mall already!"

"Laynie, are you dead?"

"Laynie, call me as soon as you get this voicemail."

I was starting to get frustrated when finally, my phone vibrated. I picked up instantly.

"LAYNIE, WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!" I shouted into the phone, getting a few stares from people walking by.

"Sorry, Jai. I woke up with a bad cold," she croaked, her voice raspy and weak. "I've been throwing up all morning. I didn't answer because I was literally hugging the toilet."

"Aww, Lay, it's okay. I'm sorry for yelling. Take care of yourself. I'll start looking on my own. Get better soon!" I felt bad for getting so worked up earlier.

"Just send me pictures of the dresses, okay? I want to help pick."

"Deal. Feel better! Bye," I said, hanging up.

Now alone, I made my way through several stores, but nothing caught my eye. I tried on a few dresses, but Laynie vetoed every one I sent her pictures of. Disappointed, I was about to leave when I felt a hand grab my arm, spinning me around.

"Elio?" I said, though it was obvious who it was.

"Hi, baby," Elio greeted me casually, his eyes gleaming. "What are you doing here?"

His hand still lingered on my arm, and I realized how much I missed his touch. But I needed to focus, so I gently removed his hand.

"Just prom dress shopping," I replied sarcastically. "Want to help?"

To my surprise, he smiled and said, "Sure, I'd love to."

I immediately tensed up and put my hands up, stopping him. "Wait, no. I was kidding. I didn't find anything good, so I was just heading home."

But Elio gave me a confident look. "Come on, I know where you'll find the perfect dress."

We walked into a store I had been avoiding all day because of its ridiculous prices. I didn't want to admit that to Elio just yet, though. He scanned the racks and finally picked out a dress—a stunning gown with a black top and a beautiful gradient ombré bottom.

"It's beautiful," I whispered, admiring the dress.

He handed me two different sizes. "Go try them on."

I headed into the dressing room and quickly slipped into the smaller size, which fit me like a glove. The dress was perfect. It hugged my body just right, though it was a little more revealing than I was used to. My cleavage was on display, but it wasn't too much. The dress made me feel like a princess.

I took a deep breath and stepped out, needing an opinion. Elio was standing near the dressing rooms, casually inspecting some ties. I cleared my throat to get his attention.

"Elio?" I said softly.

He turned around, and as his eyes landed on me, I watched as the smile on his face faded into something more intense. His eyes widened slightly, then returned to their usual calm demeanor.

"Jaidyn, you look absolutely stunning—beautiful, breathtaking... sexy," he said, the last word sending shivers down my spine. No one had ever called me that before.

"Thank you," I murmured, looking down, embarrassed but secretly thrilled.

Elio walked over to me and gently lifted my chin with his hand, forcing me to meet his gaze. "You don't need to feel ashamed, darling. You're so fucking beautiful," he whispered before placing a soft kiss on my lips. "Now hurry, I made reservations for dinner."

I blushed as I headed back to the dressing room to change. After slipping back into my clothes, I approached him, holding the dress in my arms.

"Uhh, I can't afford this," I confessed.

"Don't worry, I'll pay for it," Elio said quickly, cutting off my protest. "It's a thank you for turning this boring Saturday into a good one."

"Thank you," I said, smiling.

The store didn't even display prices on the tags, which made me even more nervous about how expensive the dress was. But I decided not to ask—I didn't want to know.

As we left the store, Elio reached for my hand, but I pulled away gently. "Secret, remember?" I reminded him.

He smiled sheepishly. "Sorry."

I rolled my eyes playfully. "So, where did you make our reservation?"

He grinned, a boyish sparkle in his eyes. "I didn't make a reservation. We're going to Applebee's."

I blinked, surprised. "Applebee's? Seriously?"

"Yeah," he said, his grin widening. "I've never been, and I wanted to go there—with you."