Chapter 3

"Credence, wake up. Your mother will be wondering where you have gotten to."

Credence opened his eyes and stared into those of Mr Graves' above his. He was vaguely aware that he seemed to have been sleeping with his head in the man's lap. He sat upright and staggered to his feet, blushing.

"I'm terribly sorry, Mr Graves." He stuttered, looking anywhere other than the man.

"It's alright, Credence." The man got up and placed a soothing hand on his shoulder, rubbing small circles there with his thumb. "Now remember what I said: Have your mother hold the meeting outside of the Woolworth building. Keep an eye out for me, I'll be there."

"Do you promise?" Credence asked.

"Of course I do." Graves smiled softly.

They stood there for a minute, just looking into each other's eyes, the warm touch of Grave's hand a gentle comfort to Credence.

"I should really get going."

And with that Credence walked out of the house and made his way back home.

- - - - -

Credence closed the double doors behind him quietly as he walked into the place he called home.

He glanced to the side and saw Chastity laying the table for breakfast and tiptoed over to her.

"Am I back at a good time?" He whispered, eyes pleading for an answer.

"Yes, it's alright. You're not too early or late." Her eyes flicked to look behind Credence. "Look out now, here she comes."

He swivelled on his feet and watched as his mother made her way down the stairs into the main area of the church.

"Well, Credence? Did you do as I asked?"

"Yes, Ma." Credence stuttered. "We should do the meeting outside of the Woolworth building, apparently there's a big meeting on in there today so many people will be milling around, walking in and out." He stopped abruptly and waited for his mother's response.

She didn't reply, but took a step towards him, eyes squinted in concentration.

"You're hiding something." She said.

Credence stared in silence, not knowing what to say.

"You just came back home, from a night on the street and yet..." She reached out a hand and he flinched as she touched his cheek. "You're warmer than if you had slept here."

There was a beat as Credence looked at her, with her eyes bearing into his.

"And you're blushing."

Credence had a sinking feeling in his stomach. He knew that she didn't want to know why or how he had managed to avoid sleeping on the street, but rather knew that that wouldn't matter anyway.

Nothing ever did.

It was just another excuse for-

"Take it off."

- - - - -

Later that day Credence found himself standing, a stack of leaflets in hand, outside of the Woolworth building, handing his mother's form of anti-magic propaganda to people as they came and went.

He was stood on the edge of the crowd gathered around his mother as she said similar words to the last gathering she held.

He scanned the crowd carefully, taking his time to stare into each face to try and glimpse any of the recognisable features of Graves.

After a while he felt a sinking feeling in his stomach again. He had been there for half an hour already and there was no sign of him.

Just then he felt a hand on his shoulder and jumped.

"It's alright, it's just me." He heard a familiar soft voice murmur in his ear.

He spun around quickly.

"Mr Graves, you're here. I had begun to think-" He cut himself off, embarrassed.

"That I wouldn't turn up?" The man said, a sympathising smile playing on his lips. "I'm sorry Credence, there was a problem I had to deal with first. A house was destroyed in the north part of the city. They think something magical had something to do with it."

"Was it?" Credence gazed up at the man in wonder.

"I think so, but it's nothing for you to worry about. Let's just stay focussed on getting you out of your situation. Speaking of which... Show me."

"What?"

"Your hand, I can see it in your eyes, she's done it again, hasn't she?"

Credence sighed and nodded before holding out his hand.

Just then a woman walked up to Graves and peered over his shoulder at Credence's hand.

"This is the boy you told me about?" She gasped.

"Yes Goldstein." He glanced into Credence's face quickly and saw that he was glaring at the woman and chewing at his bottom lip. "What's the matter, Credence?" He asked.

"Why did you tell her about me? Who else did you tell?"

"Just her. You see, I was wondering- Goldstein you should hear this as well- you could live with Tina."

Credence looked from Graves to the woman, and back again.

"But I've never met her before."

"I know." Graves said, sighing, "but I can vouch that she is a perfectly capable and caring woman, you would be fine in her care."

"I want to help you, I really do, but I'm not allowed any men in my flat, not even if I have no romantic connection to them. I would be thrown out, homeless." The woman said, genuinely looking upset.

"But Goldstein, the boy needs help he can't carry on living with her, look at his hand!" Graves cried.

"I'm sorry, Mr Graves, but I can't."

"Fine. But you should head back inside, they'll be missing you, won't they?"

"Hardly!" Tina scoffed. "But alright, I guess I should get back to work." And with that she turned on her heel and walked away.

"Mr Graves?" Credence asked timidly.

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry if this seems rude but-" he hesitated.

"Go on."

"Why can't I just... Live with you?"

Graves took Credence's bloodied hand in his and ran his fingers over the cuts. Where their skin met, Credence's hand once again mended itself and once again he stared in amazement.

"I would. But like Goldstein, there are problems. I have a very high up position where I work. There would be scandal if they found out that I did something like taking in a boy who I know little to nothing about into my house."

"You could get to know me..."

"I know, Credence, and I will try my best to do so."

"Sir... Why are you trying to help me? I know you said it was your job to help magical people but... Why me?"

"Because you're different, Credence."

"Different how?"

"I'll explain it to you, someday. Anyway, give me those leaflets, I don't want you to get into trouble for not giving them out." He took the stack out of Credence's hands. "And meet me here this evening, we'll talk again, alright?"

Credence nodded.