Chapter 37

The doctor tells us that it wasn't Hailey's first time, but that's something that wasn't hard for me to tell from seeing the harsh marks on her arm.

Time becomes irrelevant. At points, it felt like eternity, waiting in the hallway for an answer. Then I'd ask another disheveled person near me for the hour, and it seemed too late to be real.

My phone had died long ago, trying desperately to get a hold of anyone that could possibly by at Hailey's house with no such luck.

If it were me I know my mom would be here in a heartbeat, no excuses.

Yet, all Hailey really had was me and the only thing I was good for was panicking.

If my heart didn't stop pumping at an abnormal rate I was going to end up in a hospital bed right next to her.

"Jasmine?"

I looked up from the pile of straw wrappers I was mindlessly piling in front of me. We were practically the only ones in the hospital cafeteria, so I was having trouble distracting myself.

Derek's straight mouth and widened eyes tell me he's worried, as if the sound of his voice wasn't enough. But worried for me, not so much for my friend. He kept telling me she would be fine, but then why couldn't they just let me in to see her?

Who cares if I wasn't blood related?

Sometimes in life total strangers will care for you more than your own family! Here I am suffering while no one else has showed up! It was so unfair.

"Jasmine?"

"Hm?" It came out aggravated, because that was something else I felt.

Not at poor concerned Derek. No.

"Sorry. I'm just...really...upset and pissed..." How to explain, I don't know.

"I'm sure you'll be allowed to see her soon," there is sincerity in his words, but it's not as calming as I'd want it to be. He's trying, I know and I'm so thankful for it.

I drop the wrapper and straw currently in my hands and dare take the chair next to him. He moves slightly, surprised most likely. Seeing that I'm the one who initiated the contact. I give him what I hope is a smile through my puffy face, and lean my head against his shoulder.

He doesn't tense up or anything, a good sign.

But he doesn't try to wrap an arm around me either. Understandable.

"I'm sorry." I say this with all the feeling I have left. Because I am. So sorry to the point that it stings like a slap in the face.

"Shhh..." This time he does move, to wrap a warm arm around me even though I don't deserve it.

"No Derek. I really am sorry." He sighs, but I need to get things off my chest. I need him to know that I regret pushing him away when I should have been pulling him close.

I should have been paying more attention to Hailey's behavior instead of trying to be part of Jade's crowd.

I shouldn't have picked Jordan. He's a good guy, but he's not the right guy.

This situation has made it so much clearer.

Derek had all the right to not answer my call, yet he even stayed with me.

What is up with people letting a good thing slip out their fingers?

"I was stupid. No, I AM stupid." I slant my face to where I can see him without completely leaving the safety of his shoulder. If I start blushing I need something to hide it.