The Letter Chapter 7

As me and Essie walk down my driveway we see my mother just getting out of the car from work. We rush up to her and kinda scare her as we do so. Essie and I both laugh. My mother just shakes her head.

                “How was school?” she ask us, as me and Essie finish up laughing

                “School was school Mrs. Cooper” Essie says monotone. I laugh, while my mom just shakes her head.

                “So! When are we leaving?” Essie asks exactly. I see the glint of mischief in my mother’s eyes.

                “Leaving?” she ask I get the point and follow along with the game.

                “Essie I told you not to say anything.” I say to her with the look of betrayal on my face. She stands there and blubbers not knowing what to say. She stands there not sure what to do. But before we can go on with our charade we both crack up leaving Essie with the look of total confusion then as she sees me and my mom on the floor almost doubled over in laughter she gets in and pushes me.

                “That was uncalled for” she says. We all continue to crack up as we walk into the house.

                As we enter the house it is unusually quite. I look around and notice that I don’t see any of Miles things.

                “Mom, where’s Miles?” I ask a little confused because he was not supposed to be anywhere.

                “Oh he ran out of the house and to Jake’s as soon as he heard dress shopping.” We all crack up aging because of the irony of the situation.

                “Ok girls let me change and well go.” My mother says as she heads to her bedroom. Essie and I rush up the stairs to my bedroom to toss our stuff before we leave.

                As we place our stuff in my room Essie turns to leave and notices that I’m not following she looks at me with what’s wrong look, and I just shake my head. As she heads back down stairs I take the box out of my bag and place it with the other letter in my room, hopefully I’ll have the chance to look at it later tonight. I grab my jacket and head downstairs to see my mother and Essie waiting at the door, both looking at me worried, I just shake my head and laugh. This seems to put them a little at ease. We leave with a noticeable tension in the air.

                With our short drive to Main Street everything seems to be back to normal and we go on with our plans. As we walk down Main Street we look in the windows of the dress shops to see what they have, they look at me with high hopes every time we walk by one but I just shake my head and we continue walking.

As we almost reach the restaurants that were going to eat at I see a boutique across the road that has a dress that caches my eye. I don’t tell Essie or mom what I’m doing, I jog across the street to look in the window and while I’m looking in the window I cache a glimpse of them coming up behind me, but they only hold my gaze for a little bit. My eyes are captivated by the dress that I see.

                As we eat at Molly’s Place we discuss the events of the week and what our plans are for Friday. We eat and chat like that for the remainder of our meal. As were about to walk out I cache Essie eye and nod to her.

                “Hey Mrs. Cooper, do think that I could stay the night tonight?” she ask uncertainty to what she will say.