Denmark Mochi

Going to high school in Denmark was not something you particularly wanted to do, but you didn't exactly have a choice in the matter. Your father got a prestigious job here in Copenhagen, so the whole family moved to stay together. It's been rough, especially since you hardly speak the language, but you have survived nonetheless.

The biggest roadblock you've run into which has kept you from beginning to enjoy yourself here is your lack of friends. You think you're being friendly and nice, but the other kids laugh at you behind your back. It's become such a common occurrence that you don't even notice it anymore. Maybe it's because you don't speak Danish or that you're quiet. Honestly, you don't really know.

That's why you had been so adamant against going to the homecoming dance your school is throwing. They don't really celebrate homecoming here since they don't have football teams or anything, but they threw the dance anyway. Apparently it's your school's attempt to be cultured and "try something American". Whatever the reason for the dance, you still didn't want to go.

"It'll be fun. You'll see," your mother had said. "Just relax and let loose a little."

If letting loose means showing off your dancing, your mother obviously has never seen you dance. It looks like someone having an awkward seizure while standing, and not even to the beat. You sigh unhappily as you watch your classmates dance to the latest top hits on the radio. The only comfort is that half of the songs are in English, so you can pick up bits and pieces if you listen hard enough. Only three more hours to go.

A group of excited teenage girls wearing too much makeup and dresses that don't cover enough hurry past you and bump the chair you're sitting on. They don't even bother to stop and apologize.

"Thanks for noticing," you murmur to yourself. At least they're not laughing.

"Hey! Skal vi danse? (Hey! Want to dance?)" You ignore the voice. There's no way that it's talking to you. "Hallo? Skal vi danse? (Hello? Want to dance?)"

With furrowed brows, you look up at the table next to you to see a strange object looking back at you. It's white and round with three distinct spikes coming up out of the top of it. A little hat is set next to the spikes, and blue eyes shine excitedly at you while it waits for an answer.

"Oh...um, I'm sorry. I don't speak Danish very well..." you explain in a soft voice.

"Well, why didn't you say so!" the thing exclaims. "I speak English like a pro!" It smiles widely at you. "I wanted to know if you want to dance!"

"Oh!" That's not what you were expecting. "I don't know. I'm not a very good dancer..."

"That doesn't matter!" it argues. "It's all about having fun! Who cares whether you look good or not...even though looking good is important."

"Well...uh." You're not sure how to phrase your next rebuttal. "How would we dance if you...you know...have no..." you say as you use your hand to gesture to its obvious lack of arms and legs.

"What? Oh that..." The thing laughs boisterously. "I guess I forgot about that, hahahahahaha!"

"What an odd thing to forget...having no arms and legs..."

"What was that?"

"No! Nothing! It was nothing!" you insist. It would be embarrassing if he heard you.

"Okay, whatever you say." It looks at you with a mischievous glint in its eyes. "You're cute when you blush."

You inhale sharply in surprise. This was unexpected too. "Uh...uh...t-thank you..." You can feel your blush deepening.

"Don't mention it. I'm Denmark Mochi by the way. Looks like we'll be hanging out a lot tonight since I can't dance," he jokes.

"Oh, right," you say with a small smile. "I'm (y/n). It's nice to meet you, Denmark Mochi." The mochi smiles at your use of its name. "Um...c-can I ask you a q-question?"

"Sounds like you already did."

"Well...ah...er..." Denmark Mochi's banter flusters you enough to make you forget your question.

"Hahahaha, go ahead and ask your question," it encourages.

You take a second to gather your thoughts and calm your frayed nerves. "I-I was wondering whether you're...um...a boy...b-b-because you sound like one, and I just thought..." Your voice trails off and is lost in the noise of the dance.

The mochi doesn't respond for a long time. You're almost afraid you offended the round thing. "You want to know if I'm a boy?"

"Uh, yes. I'm sorry if that's a weird question. You don't have to an-"

"Hahahahahaha!" The loud laugh rings around the large room. "Of course I'm a boy! I wouldn't ask you to dance if I wasn't!" he answers with a big grin.

Red colors you cheeks once more. "T-that's true..." You can't believe you didn't think of that.

"You know what, (y/n)?"

"Hmmm?" you reply without thinking.

"You're a cool person, you know that?"

You look up in surprise. Denmark Mochi never ceases to amaze you with his words. "Y-you really think so?"

"Yeah!" he insists. "You're one of the only people that put up with me." A sad look comes over the mochi's face, which he quickly hides behind a smile. "Yeah, I didn't think I'd find anyone to talk to tonight."

"Me too," you find yourself admitting.

"For real?"

"Yeah," you confirm with a nod. "My mom made me come, but I kinda didn't want to."

The mochi's smile widens. "Seems like fate that we met, huh?" He winks playfully.

"Oh! Um...yes..." You decide to try something a little daring for someone like you. "C-could you come a little closer, Denmark Mochi?"

"Yeah, sure thing." He hops closer to you. "What is-"

The mochi's blue eyes go wide as you lean down and kiss him right by his little hat. It's his turn to be surprised by you, and all he can do is stare with an open mouth.

"T-thank you for talking with me," you mumble shyly.

Denmark Mochi recovers enough to smile goofily. "You're welcome, (y/n). Would you be up for that dance now?"

"H-how would we do that?" you ask in confusion. You still don't see how that would be possible since the mochi has no limbs to speak of.

"You can just carry me!" he replies excitedly. "I'll let you hold me as tight as you want as long as there's no more smooching without warning!"

You're shocked at first, but soon a warm smile spreads across your face. "Alright, I think I can manage that."