Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight
Tobias Eaton

I looked at Tris as she slept quietly beside me...she looked so peaceful when she slept. I smiled and kissed her head gently and got out of bed reluctantly. That's when the building shook. I had to hold on to the post of the bed to keep my balance. Tris sat up and looked at me.

" Tobias? What's going on? " she asked as she stretched and looked at me sleepily.

" I don't know, but we've got to go. " I reply as I scramble to pull out duffle bags. " take anything you absolutely need. " I inform her as I hand her one of the bags.

I started to cram clothes and food and necessities that we couldn't live without, tooth brush, toilet paper, wash cloths, and all of that. Tris just as quickly packed her bags as I did. I sighed thinking of the life Tris and I could of had here...watching our child take their first steps across the hallway, laughing and cooking dinner together, growing old here together. This caused tears to form in my eyes. I was for a moment oblivious to everything that was happening. The building shook again. Tris scurried over to me handing me a gun and loading hers.

  Tris and I hurry out of the building and we run to my mothers small apartment. The door has been forced open and there is banging inside. I walk slowly up the stairs with Tris close behind me. I can see my mother and a couple of men surrounding her. One of them being my father.

" I'm going to ask you one more time Evelyn, where is he? And where is the god damned serum?! " Marcus screamed at Evelyn.

" Go to hell. " Evelyn replied as she saw Tobias at the door. " TOBIAS THE KEYS ARE ON THE COUNTER! " Evelyn screams.

Marcus raises his gun and puts a bullet in her head. She falls over to the side dead. My mouth hangs open and I feel like I can't move, I can't hear, I can't see, I'm pathetic. Tris pulls on my arm as I feel myself running down the stairs rushing to get the car keys. I storm into the garage and help Tris into the bullet proof jeep and then get in myself. I turn the engine on and start to drive. It's only until we are an hour into the drive that I start to sob. I just watched my mother be murdered right in front of me.

" Tobias, pull over...let me drive... " Tris soothed as I did as she said.

I got out of the car and got into the passenger seat leaning my head against the window of the car. I closed my eyes and when I opened them it was morning again. I looked over at Tris who was still driving.

" Good morning. " she says as she looks over at me for a moment and then back at the desert road.

" How long have I been out? " I ask quietly.

" maybe four or five hours...Tobias...I'm so sorry...I know- "

I quickly cut her off. " no Tris you don't know! You don't know what it's like to have your mother murdered right in front of you! So shut up! " I yell and almost instantly regret my words.

" actually I do Tobias, I do know what it's like to have my mom...and let's just throw in my dad too, murdered right in front of me, don't you dare ever talk to me like that again. " she demanded as she continued to drive.

I turned my head looking out the window.

" I'm sorry... " I say quietly to her.

She stops the car and leans over and kisses my lips gently. After she pulls away she starts to car again and continues to drive.