Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten
Tobias Eaton

The road just seems to drag on and on. I just want to stop and hold Tris in my arms and never let go. Tris's head is resting against the glass window and her eyes are closed. I feel a pain in my chest...like when I first saw her body...cold, motionless, and pale...the only thing that brings me back to reality is the slow breathing I hear coming from her. I wanted to ask her what her nightmare had been about, but she turned and went back to sleep before I could say anything.

I am pulled from my blank thoughts hours later when I see Tris from the corner of my eye raising her head off of the glass window. She looked around groggily and looked over at me.

" Good Morning Sleeping Beauty. " I say as I manage to take my eyes off the road for a few seconds to look over at her.

" Hi... " She replied as she looked out the window and sighed.

Something was bothering her. It was easy to tell what emotional state Tris was in because she was an open-book when it came to her personality. Something in her dream must have scared her or caused her to be angry or sad. I didn't want to bother her about it, so I didn't. As long as she was safe I didn't need anything else from her other than to stay alive.

" Where are we? " Tris asks as she looks around.

We are driving through an old town. I'm not sure which one, but it looks like it hasn't been inhabited in more than fifty years. I saw a small sign that was mostly covered in moss and shrubs, but you could still make out the words. ' Motel '

" We could see if we can scavenge anything here. " I suggest.

Tris looks at the motel as we pull over and she shrugs. I can tell she's not feeling well, neither am I. I just watched my father shoot my mother in the head. I parked the car and looked around the motel. I searched the office first. There wasn't much in there...just old files and pens with paper. I sighed and followed Tris into one of the rooms. The blankets in the rooms were still fresh so we decided to take some of those for when it gets cold. We managed to find cleaning supplies, pillows, blankets, gasoline, and shattered glass. There was no food or fresh water which disappointed me.

Tris and I were back on the dirt road within the hour. She was curled up in the back of the car with the blanket wrapped around her body as she laid her head on one of the pillows. I sighed as I looked back at her for only a moment until my eyes had to focus on the road once again.

  Later we drove toward what looked like an abandoned building. Then I recognize it. I'm hoping Tris doesn't wake up and see it, but this is the only place of safety we have come across and Tris's safety is more important than my bad memories. I pass the small sign that read ' The Bureau of Genetic Welfare '