Preface

Aiden

I’m not happy about what I did, but what other choice did I have? I know her heart’s breaking, but I just can’t put her life in danger. Truth of the matter is simple; Janus is out there, regaining his power. His agents are also prowling around the empire, taking innocent lives. And if one of those lives end up being Callisto’s then that’s a burden to heavy to bear and one that I don’t think I’ll be able too. Even though we have the sunstone, we still need to wait till the passing of the solar eclipse for us to be sure. We’re not out just yet, and the eclipse is nearing quickly.

            And as the days go by I can feel Janus’s power and control in this world getting stronger. Maybe it’s a twin thing, but I know that right this minute he’s longing to get out. Was I stupid not to finish him off? What was it that day that kept me from finishing him off? Am I too weak? Did he have something to do with it? Still I have no answers. With every new question come more, tenfold, and with those tenfold, tenfold more come. I’m desperately trying to keep this empire from falling into an endless night. Could I be in over my head? The only other sorcerer to win over them was Dante, thousands of years ago. I may be his descendant, but, despite the fact people want to acknowledge it, so is Janus.

            Also, I hate Callisto giving me the cold shoulder. At first she was mad now she won’t talk to me. It hurts but losing her would hurt more. Once this is over, I hope I haven’t pushed her too far away. Maybe I am being selfish, keeping everyone at a distance, but I’d rather keep them safe a distance. What if I’m not powerful enough to stop Janus a second time? What if he wins? What if I fail?