(27) Arc of Time

Erica Santos

I had to initiate my plan by leaving.

As I packed the back pack with whatever clothes I think were worth carrying, it dawned to me that I had no food to take. No food equals starvation. Starvation equals death. I couldn’t let myself die that easily. How could I get my revenge? By scaring the enemies in my ghost form? Nyada. That wouldn’t work.

I didn't know where the kitchen was, or any place outside my room for that matter, and I was pretty sure I would not want to risk anyone seeing me. One word, and I’m pretty sure either the Black Cat or the Blue Monster would be hot on my heels.

I couldn’t have that. Not yet.

Guess, I'll have to do with instant food from convenience stores again.

I sighed, repressing the headache that was bound to be something skull-splitting in a couple of hours. No matter how much I forced myself to cheer up, it seemed impossible. 

My self-control was as strained as a dam with a crack wall. A little more push, a little more pressure, and I’m pretty sure that I would snap. And the flood about to ensue wasn't something to look forward to.

I wish there was another explanation, a saner one which I could digest and be thankful for. I wish the story behind all these was something within the bounds of reality, something familiar, something I could understand.

But no. Mr. Black Cat just had to make it fancy with magic. Magic! Of all the things I imagined to be reasons for my family’s deaths, I never once dreamed that they had something to do with magic.

My mind was reeling from the thought that I’ve been pursued because I got tangled in a mess I didn’t know existed. After everything Mr. Black Cat said, I doubt happiness could ever find me again.

Jamaica, did things really have to be these complicated?

I vividly remembered that fateful evening, the night I became an orphan.

Being young and wild, I came home late that time, spent most of the night partying with friends. I was so wasted and everything was just perfect. The night was good, I enjoyed fooling around with my friends. I even dare venture into the forests surrounding my home because I knew that night nothing bad could happen. My boyfriend Daniel was with me and I was so happy. After all, it was my seventeenth birthday. I was the queen.

It was nearly midnight when I came home, drunk and stuffed. I was so lighthearted that I left my best friend’s house without permission. Daniel wanted to bring me to the house, but I only let him drive me till the entrance of the hacienda. He kissed me like crazy, and continued to say sweet nothings to my ears. I knew at that moment that I was the luckiest girl on earth.

Nothing could make me feel bad, that was my thought.

The reason why I went back home was to surprise my family. They were expecting me to spend the night with my friend. But what kind of daughter would I be if on my birthday, I wouldn’t spend it with my family, even just a part of it?

The first thing that I noticed back then was the lights. Not a single one was turned on. In the eerie darkness, I entered our house through the backdoor, still half in daze. Tipsy, I sauntered towards the kitchen to get myself a cup of water, or lemonade if there was one.

I stopped dead in my tracks at the first sight of blood.

Streaks of crimson lined the kitchen, as if the source had been butchered and then dragged on the floor. At that time, it didn’t make any sense. So I continued on sobering up. It was my mistake not to notice sooner, but at that time, the whole house was quiet; it was creepy.