(28) Changing the Future

Erica Santos

“Oh?” I said dumbly, blinking back the sleep in my eyes. Yes, I'm sleepy. Don't be shocked. That happens when you launched into a two-hour long story telling of your life. 

Then I blushed.

I wanted to smack myself. Ugh. Guy here tells me that he’s some sci-fi hero and all I can say is ‘oh’.  How very creative.

The sounds of the night bugs around us seem to mock me. After some time, I found my voice again. It squeaked like a mouse. “B-But you look, uh, no offense, er, normal?”

Arc made a weird face, somewhat half-incredulous half-amused. “What do you expect?”

Portal doors and strange metallic suits and fancy gadgets and weird hairdo – the list could go on. He asked the wrong question.

“Well, you have no light saber and you don’t seem to have a USB port in your head,” I shrugged noncommittally. He gave me a look. My irresistibly impish grin made him puff out his breath like an impatient child.

“Eh… I guess I'm not funny?” I sighed, noting the fact that he didn’t appreciate my humor. “This is no joke to you. My bad.”

“Thank you.”

I offered a small apologetic smile. “How bad is your situation, Mr. I’m-from-the-future?”

Arc raked his hand through his dark hair, looking every bit tense and frustrated. He considered my question for a minute. “Things were… not that bad, but it’s not getting any better. Life is very dangerous for me and all those around me.”

“Kindly elaborate on that, mister,” I couldn’t help but say. Gosh, why does everyone say the same thing? It’s dangerous this, dangerous that. Couldn’t they just say what happened then shut up? Why dance around secrets? Don’t they find me reliable?

“The Guardians are being hunted. One by one. Every family member who has potential is either kidnapped or slashed on the spot. Not like your everyday drama – it’s worse. Even if you call for help, no one comes.”

It sounded like a horror movie. “Who are your enemies?”

“The very ones that killed your family. They have no name, but the Guardians call them Hunters.”

I bit my lower lip, nodding distractedly. “So you grew tired of it? The killing?”

“Pretty much,” he said vaguely. “Mostly the running. The fighting. It’s unbearable. My magic has just awakened – I’m not still used to it – but I risked coming here so that I can stop the madness in the future where I belong.”

Killing, more killing. Wouldn’t these Hunters just stop? Why were they intent on bringing death to others? For power? Does everything boil down to that? They would sacrifice numerous innocent lives for power? Heck, the spirits made the right choice to flee from humans. I never imagined anyone with this level of evil. I thought they only existed in books and movies.

I laughed painfully, hysteria deep in my chest. “This is crazy. Everything is crazy. I wish I could go back to the time where everything is normal.” A sudden realization hit me. Arc is a time traveler! Abruptly, my senses soared, my eyes hopeful as I asked, “Arc, please take me back?”

He froze. He opened his mouth, but then closed it off as hurt crossed his features.

I continued bouncing on my toes. “You can send me to the past, right?”

“I-I can, but…” He took hold of my hands; his were clammy and cold. “That will be wrong. That future… is wrong.”

Wrong?