Chapter Eight: Passing Tests

Starr took me to a park. Since the weather was starting to get bad, there wasn't anyone there. We had the whole place to ourselves. I hadn't said a word since we started walking. Starr filled the silence with her rambling of Sebastian's stupidity and jerk-ishness. When we first started to walk, she was trying to include me in the conversation, but after a while of me not answering, then she settled for talking at me. And yes, I do mean at me.

Her rambling didn't help my mental state, but I didn't have the heart to tell her to zip her lips. She seemed to like being able to talk without someone interrupting her. From what I saw, when she starts talking, someone either talks over her or shuts her up.

"I'm just babbling now." Starr announced. "So, what did Seb do to piss you off?"

I took a deep breath. "He was using me." I muttered.

"What?!" She stood up suddenly. "That asshole!"

I didn't say anything.

"Wait... how?" She asked hesitantly.

"He only wanted me to stay for my skill. He said that's the only reason you all wanted me." I was so drained, I couldn't even be mad at Starr for being a part of it too.

Her eyebrows pulled together. "That doesn't make any sense. He's been, like, demanding us to go get you."

"What do you mean?"

"A few weeks ago we were on an assignment and he saw you sitting on a bench. Ever since then, he's been sending people out to watch you. He told us that you looked like you had potential. He made Magnus in charge of everything, which he never does, and wanted anything he could get. I've never seen him so interested in one person before. I mean, even when he had a thing with Vicky, he didn't put much effort into the relationship. I guess that's why they split..."

"Starr, how do you choose people? I asked, my mood suddenly changing.

"Well, most are runaways with nowhere else to go. Others were chosen almost the same way you were. They have be able to blend in and know how to escape from places without a problem. Everyone that joins goes through tests so we know that they can survive the missions we send them on."

"Tests?" I questioned.

"You have to be able to hunt, run for long periods of time, win a fight, and withstand pain."

"That's it?" 

"Yup. Its not as easy as it sounds, but you've already passed two."

I went hunting with her and ran from Sebasitian. "What will happen if I join?"

Her eyebrows drew together. "You get branded with our emblem."

"Why?" I gasped.

"It's almost like getting a badge or something saying that you belong to a club. But its not a club. That's the best way I can explain it." Starr stretched. "I have to get back, are you coming with?"

There was nothing else I could do. I really would die if I stayed behind the library. "I guess."

My little house was rebuilt when Starr and I got back. They probably assumed that I would come back, which kind of made me mad. Everyone was sitting around camp fires eating lunch. People would include me in their conversations, but I wouldn't pay any attention. When I was done eating, I went up to Starr. She gave me a questioning look, but didn't say anything.

"I want to finish the tests." I told her.

She looked taken aback.

Moon jumped up from his seat and fist pumped the air. "I knew you'd do it!" He looked over at some guy. "You owe me a chocolate bar."