I'll Be There For You

"Hello? Tyler?"
"Y-yeah. I-it's me." He says.
"What's wrong? Are you okay?"
"I need to talk to you. In person." He states.
"Okay. What's your address?"
~
I'm standing outside a fairly small house with two floors. All the lights are off and I'm wondering if I've got the right house. I walk up to the front door and knock lightly.
"Hello?!" I call out.

There's no answer and I knock a little harder this time. I hear shuffling inside and a man in a grimy shirt opens the door. He looks me up and down in an interested manner. He scratches his beard.
"Can I help you?" He says in a New York accent.
"Does Tyler live here?" I ask.
"Yeah. What do ya want with him?"
"He, uh, called me."

The man looks me up and down again and steps aside. I walk into the house and am met with the sour smell of alcohol. I scrunch my nose and block the disgusting smell.
"He's up the stairs. First door on the left."

I walk up the stairs and feel like there's a pair of eyes on my backside. Down where a man should not be looking at, especially a girl my age. I hold my skirt tighter to my legs. I walk over to the door which I'm guessing is Tyler's room. I knock lightly and the door creaks open a bit. I walk in and I suddenly frown.

It's pitch black and I can't see Tyler.
"Tyler?" I call out.
The room lights up and I gasp when I see the sight in front of me.

Tyler is leaning against the wall, tears streaming down his face. He's holding a tissue which is stained red to his hand. There's a broken vase near his bedside table. I rush over and wrap my arms around him.
"Are you okay? What's wrong?" I ask him hurriedly.

He shakes his head and forces a sad smile.
"I'm fine."
"No. No, you're not. Do you have plasters?"
He nods and points towards the hall. I quickly get up and go into the hallway, opening all the doors. I finally open the bathroom door and search through all drawers.

I'm disappointed when I find a drawer full of really old boxes that are empty. I open the one underneath and sigh in relief. I grab the box of plasters and practically run out of the bathroom back into Tyler's room.

He's on the bed sitting there silently with his head down. I sit down next to him and take his cut hand into mine. It's cleaner now that the tissue has been removed. I put the plaster on his cut gently.
"What happened?" I say softly.
Tyler sighs and looks at me with a sad smile. He turns his whole body towards me and I smile encouragingly.
"I need to tell you something. I'll understand if you don't want to be friends with me anymore. I've been this way for, I don't know how long." He states.

I wait patiently. One thing I've learnt with my Dad is that you have to wait for a person to open up about their feelings.
I keep the encouraging smile on my face.
"I'm gay." Tyler forces out.
"Why would I stop being friends with you?"
"I don't really know. You're the kindest person ever. I was stupid to think that you'd leave me."
I place my hand on his knee reassuringly.
"I'll be there for you." I say simply.
"When the rain starts to pour." Tyler mumbles.
I laugh and he joins me. I give him a quick hug and the smile never leaves my face.
"I love you, you idiot."
"I love you too, Jules."
"Jules? My Dad calls me that." I say.
"Well, I like it." He states.