Chapter 23: Breaking the Boundary

The snowflakes melted into tiny water droplets that trickled down the foggy glass. The moon was high–the lights reflected off the window and shone right through it into the room. My unwrapped presents sat in the corner of the room. I thought of sorting through them in the morning. Greg texted and asked to call but after the gathering that took almost the whole day, I didn't think I spared enough energy for another phone call. I spent the rest of the day helping Diane doing the dishes and told Greg I'd fill him in the next day.

Just before I prepared for bed, something caught my attention on the window. I detected a peculiar movement of the water where the particles began to form a distinctive mark on the glass amidst the foggy texture. A handprint. I gasped, feeling slightly crept out yet it drew me in until I finally placed my palm against that very spot on the glass.

A solid hand began to materialise from the mark on the window, slowly until his whole figure took shape, transitioning from translucent into a fully solid form.

Our eyes met. I took a step back to allow Cornelius entering–or more like floating–through the window a la Peter Pan. He stepped on the window seat. My heart skipped a beat.

"Hey." I gulped.

"Merry Christmas." He replied. "I reckon you had a good time with your family, especially your father."

The expression on Cornelius' face brought me back to the night I last saw him, where he looked so defeated after our quarrel.

"Merry Christmas." I tucked my hair behind my ear. "Look, I'm sorry about what I said the other day, I didn't mean–"

"It's alright."

"No, it's not alright. I've hurt your feelings." I trailed off. "I-I was so confused."

Cornelius held my shoulders and shook his head. "You said what you had to say. It was my fault, I shouldn't have pushed you like that."

I bit my lips at the remark of his dismissal. Guess we were even. "I missed you."

Silence hung in the air. The cold petrified us in place. So, what are we? What do we do now?

Cornelius only forced an agitated smile and extended his hand. "Actually, there's something I need to tell you, Elisabeth."

"Do we have to go somewhere?"

He nodded. I took his hand. This was new. Maybe this time he was ready to show me–the lost fragment of his past. I wasn't sure whether I should be excited or hesitant.

As I clutched his cold hand, we walked out to the corridor. I scanned my surroundings to make sure mum, Nathan, or Diane weren't on the watch. Their eyes could be everywhere for all I knew.

Cornelius and I tiptoed towards the end of the corridor. We stopped at the camouflaged door that quizzed me back then. The door opened on its own thanks to his power and the sight of a dark empty void along with a rush of wind blowing right from the inside welcomed me. I shuddered, unsure of what exactly was in front of me.

"Ah, I knew you must be hiding something here." I squeaked.

"I'm the one keeping secrets, remember?"

My stomach churned at his words, putting me on the spot when I blamed him for keeping secrets the last time we argued.

"Can we at least have a torch?" I cleared my throat, peering into the sheer darkness. I stood close behind his back.

"It's alright, lass. I'm here." he flashed a smile.

Of course, ghosts could see in the dark. It was strange to see him finally smile, yet it put me at ease, a stark contrast of his old self–a once brooding ghost with a stare as cold as steel and unwelcoming–just his overall personally that disabled him to convey any positive feelings. But our interaction had seemingly revived some of his lost human traits.