Chapter 3

December 24, 2012…

I was sitting in my mother’s study using it as a make-shift office for the time being. I was transferring files from a USB onto my lap top and tablet at the same time. She had gone over to a friend’s for afternoon tea. I didn’t want to go, so I decided to work for a little while. Yes, I knew it was Christmas Eve, but I was a glutton for punishment I suppose. Things were going really well with Richard. I traveled with him through the London press junket and premier of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey with ease. Several people kept asking him if I was his girlfriend. I thought it was humorous.

Thanks to my time with Richard during The Hobbit, I obtained two more new clients – Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch. I was tickled when Benedict’s manager called me asking me to take him on. When I called Mr. G and told him, he was so excited for me and the company. He asked me if I would consider heading an office in London for him. I told him I would consider it and told him Merry Christmas. I had already contacted Melissa and talked to her. She was still very pregnant and told me she would stay with me even if I moved to London full-time.

In the middle of creating Ben’s file on my lap top and tablet, the doorbell rang. I thought it was odd, but headed towards the door. When I opened the door, there was a delivery man there.

“Hippolyta Adamson?”

“Yes?”

“Sign here for me please.”

I signed on the electronic strip and gave it back to him.

“Here you go,” he said and handed me a wrapped gift.

“Thank you. Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas to you to,” he said with a smile, turned and left.

Going over,  I sat down on the love seat to unwrap the gift. I had no idea who this could be from. As I removed the shiny red paper, there was a black velvet box underneath. Slowly opening the box, inside there was a gorgeous Blue Topaz and White Diamond heart pendant hanging on a white gold chain. I then noticed a small card stuck in the lid of the box. Taking it out, I read it.

My Dearest Hippolyta,

Merry Christmas! I hope you are finding time with your mother very special this holiday season. I’m never too far away when you’re ready to see me. I miss you terribly.

        All my love,

         Your Tom

Did he really know the true meaning of giving a Topaz for a gift, or was it because it was my birthstone? Weeks ago he sent me the red and purple roses, and now he’s sent me a Blue Topaz and White Diamond heart necklace. Bless him! He was truly trying to give me what I wanted while continuingly to show me love and affection that I felt like I didn’t deserve from him. But, the biggest question I was wondering is how in the world did he find out where my mother lived. Taking my gift with me, I went back to the study and grabbed my phone.

Slightly cursing Tom for making me do this, I dialed Luke’s number.

“Luke Windsor.”

“Luke, it’s Lyta.”

“Lyta!”

“Hello.”

“Hi, how are you,” he stuttered out.

“I’m alright. You?”

“You’re stealing my clients,” he said with a chuckle.

“I’m not stealing anyone from you, Luke,” I said with a giggle. “They’re leaving you because I’m prettier than you are.”