Chapter 4

December 31, 2012…

I was feeling a bit sick to my stomach, but it was New Year’s Eve and my birthday. I was determined not to let my upset stomach bring me down. I turned down my usual birthday breakfast from my mom asking for oatmeal and a diet sprite instead. She questioned why I wanted it and I told her I was just feeling a little nauseated. We left it at that and she made me what I wanted.

After breakfast, I got dressed and my mom sent me to the spa for the day like she always did. She had ordered me the works as usual – a ninety minute massage including reflexology, a thirty minute facial, time in the steam room, lunch, pedicure, manicure, hairstyle and make-up. On the way there, I had the driver stop by the pharmacy for me to pick up something. It had been bothering me for the past few days and I just had to know if my feelings were right or wrong.

By lunch time, my clothes bag showed up. The workers were given strict instructions for me not to look in the bag until it was time for me to get dressed. Mom had gotten Kate Sheridan to make me my birthday dress and I couldn’t wait to see it.

The appointment was at ten that morning and lasted until five thirty in the afternoon.

Between my facial and lunch, I went to the bathroom and pulled the test out of my bag. I wasn’t sure if I had created the thought in my head or if it was real. It would explain the nausea in the morning and the dizzy spells I had been having lately that I hadn’t told anyone about. I was thirty. Thirty was a good age to have a baby at. Tom had proven that he loved me and that I was following my heart. So many questions were going through my head as I waited on the results to appear on the stick.

I finally looked at it and there was a bright pink plus sign staring back at me. Picking it up, I stared at it as I cried. I was happy and worried at the same time. Tom was such a gentle person and showed such compassion towards children, but I still wondered if he really did want children of his own. He was India Hemsworth’s Godfather. I just had to figure out how to tell him.

At five thirty, Angel, my attendant that had been with me all day went with me into the dressing room with me to help me get ready. She made me turn around so she could open the bag. She passed me a small plastic bag that had a pair of red lacey panties and matching strapless bra.

“You can step behind the screen to change, Lyta.”

I walked behind the screen, took off my robe and panties to put the red lacey bra and panties on. I then walked out with them on.

“Okay, are you ready to see your dress,” she asked with a bright smile.

“Yes, I can’t wait!”

She pulled it out for me to see it. It was absolutely gorgeous! It was a violet-turquoise-iridescent colored, A-line with trumpet skirt, strapless, full-length ball gown. Angel and I just stood there staring at it together.

“What do you think,” I asked her.

“I think it’s stunning, Lyta. I think you’re going to look stunning in it. Are you ready to get it on?”

“Yes.”

She helped me into it and I had to stand there for her to tighten and attached the corset tie in the back of the dress for me. It was a good thing I had to step into it because it would’ve messed up my hair that Therese had fixed for me. Looking at my hair, it made sense that she had added the violet and turquoise hair strips to my hair. She had been given permission to see my dress earlier. Therese had done an amazing job on my hair. She had attached the colored strips into my hair and did a partial up-do and left the rest of my curls to cascade down my back before putting a small diamond, amethyst and blue topaz tiara on my head that my mother had made for me for my birthday.