Chapter One

I shifted in my bed, dreaming again. I coughed and woke up slowly. I looked over at Lexus who was sound asleep in her bed. I sighed and got up. I watched her, thinking about how our lives would be different if her father had stayed. I sighed and went downstairs. I made a cup of tea and sat down outside. I sighed deeply and swung on the porch swing. I watched the sky become clear and the sun come up. I heard Lexus cough and get out of bed. I waited for her to come out here and sit with me on the swing. " Mommy?" She sleepily said. " Yeah baby?" I said. She coughed and walked over to be with her blanket. She got on the swing and laid her head on my lap. I smiled and stroked her hair. She fell back asleep within minutes. I finished my tea and set the cup down. I slowly got up and picked Lexus up, not waking her. I walked inside and put her on the couch. I went back outside and got the cup. I sighed and looked at the street. I wish everything could be like they used to. I sighed and walked back inside, locking the door.

                        It soon turned three pm and I woke Lexus up. " Babe, it's time for day care..." I whispered. She whined and got up. We got dressed and I dropped her off at the day care center. I did my daily work, got groceries, did laundry, cleaned up around the house. I went and picked up Lexus then took her to the park. I was sitting on a bench, watching Lexus run around with alittle girl, when a man sat next to me. I looked at him. He had long brown hair, tattoos, he was watching the little girl my daughter was playing with. I watched Lexus, keeping my eye on her. Then, Lexus and the little girl ran over here. " Mommy! Mommy! I made a new friend!" Lexus shouted. I laughed softly and looked at the little girl. " And what is your name?" I asked her. " Her name is Kenadee..." The man said. I looked at him. " And you are?" I asked. " Her father, Mitch." He said, holding his hand out. I smiled and shook it. " Madison... Madison Knight. This is my daughter Lexus.." I said. " Nice name." He said, smiling. I smiled softly and looked at Lexus. " Mommy, can Kenadee and I go play now?" She said, grabbing Kenadee's hand.  " Yes." I said, they ran off. Mitch and I talked.

                 He talked about being in a band and how he doesn't get to see his daughter as much as he would like to. He talked about Kenadee's mother and how she had a new man. I just sat there and listened. After awhile, we started talking about me. I talked about Lexus, her father, my parents, and just about everything. " Kenadee and I should get going now... Here's my cell, text me or something. See ya." He said, picking up Kenadee and walking off. I smiled and put his number in my phone. Lexus and I went home and I gave her dinner and put her in her bed. I took a shower and got dressed. As I laid in my bed, I thought about Mitch and how he would be a great father figure for Lexus. I sighed and shifted, looking at Lexus sleeping. I soon fell asleep, thinking about Mitch and how our lives would be together.