Jiyong's Unusual Behavior

“The heart attack was due to stress. It looks like your father has a lot of worries in his mind right now. Jiyong, is there something wrong with your company?” the doctor said as Jiyong massaged the back of his neck, trying to ease the pain.

“No, doctor. The business is running smoothly…" he said as he ran his hand on his hair. "I-I guess Dad is just thinking of other things, not the company” he answered.

“Well, if that’s the case, can you do something about that? Overthinking and anxiety’s making him all tired and stressed out. I suggest you try to relieve that. You are his son, Jiyong” And the doctor pats Jiyong’s shoulder before leaving him alone on the hallway.

Jiyong took a deep breath before letting himself inside his father’s private ward. He looked at the hospital bed where his father is currently lying. His father looked tired and worn out. There were multiple painful pricks on his heart as he gazes at his father.

He grabbed a chair and settled himself beside his father’s bed. He’s not stupid. He knows what was keeping his father stressed out all this time—it was him and his engagement with Dara.

His father is a wise man. Jiyong knows he could sense his and Dara’s opposition against the marriage. His father worries that he will break the promise he made with Jiyong’s mom if the marriage between him m and Dara won't be carried out .

“It’s always because of her…right, Dad?” he whispered though he knows the older Kwon won’t hear him. “All your pains, all your happiness…it’s always because of her.” He whispered again in the air as he close his eyes, restraining the tears that was about to fall from his eyes.

--

“I still get teary-eyed when I think about that scene from the movie ‘An Affair to Remember’. I’ve seen it so many times but still, I can’t help but to cry while watching it.”

From where Jiyong’s standing, outside the hospital suite, he could hear loud laughters coming from his own father.

“You’re mean, uncle! How could you laugh at me? I’m being serious here.”

Carefully, Jiyong slightly opened the door to take a peek of what’s happening inside. From there, he saw Dara and his father chatting so happily. Dara was cutting apples while his dad is on the bed, holding a book.

A faint smile crossed his lips. His father is recovering faster than expected and it is all because of Sandara.

She would always visit his father whenever she’s free or has the time.It also seems that his father likes being with her because whenever he is around with Dara, his father's problems seem to fade. And mostly, Dara’s presence is undeniably comforting.

He doesn’t know why he can’t come inside the room and announce his presence. He stood just there, outside the room in silence, staring at the picture perfect before him.

“Yes, dear, uncle knows. You are just too sweet. You know what? Jiyong’s mom is also like you. She also cries at sappy old movies that she’d seen a thousand times.” He smiled but not long after , a familiar painful and sad expression crossed his faced.

That painful and heart-wrenching expression was all too familiar to Jiyong, he had seen that countless of times in the past. That expression would show whenever his father would hear or see anything even remotely related to his deceased mother.

The moment his eyes caught it, he can’t help but paint a frown in his beautiful face.

“You know, Dara, I never got to talk much about Jiyong’s mother with him,” the older Kwon said, sadness still clearly seen in his eyes. “I was avoiding topics about her…talking about her is very painful for me….And I don’t want Jiyong to see my sadness because I know I’ll only make him worry.”