RIP Shay.

He ran into Mark's room, "Mark, shit, Mark! Wake the fuck up!" Mark sat up rubbing his eyes. Glen walked beside him and just said, "It's the 15th. We all forgot." Mark's face paled quickly, "Crap. What are we going to do?" I stood inbetween them and demanded to know what was going on. When I heard I fell to the floor, it was his birthday... it was Shay's birthday. "How could we forget his own dad's birthday?" We sat in silence for a few minutes. "We've got to find him... before he does anything stupid." My voice cracked as I got closer and closer to tears. Glen and Mark exchanged looks, and then glared at me. Mark stepped forward, "Maybe you should stay here, y'know just incase he comes back." He finished with a very questioning tone. I could tell they were hiding something. This time Glen stepped forward, hesitantly, "Look, it's just that it's highly likely that he's drunk, and he's not the best company to be with if he is." I sighed, but admitted they were right. I shuffled back to the bedroom and tried to get some sleep.

At around 2 in the morning, I was woken by shouting and the sound of things being wrecked. Half an hour passed and he was still going, kicking and screaming (quite literally). I poked my head around the door to find Danny being held down to the sofa, he was crying his heart out. I've never seen him cry before; it was like having a knife put in my chest. I walked upto the sofa and they all stopped, the tension was awful. I indicated towards Mark and Glen for some space, Glen left unwillingly, obviously worried about the situation. I sat down next to him, he stared right through me. In each tear I could see another emotion; he was so vulnerable. For a minutes it was tense, neither of us knew what to do.

"What was he like?" I whispered, I didn't know what to say- I've always been bad in these situations. He looked up and a tiny smile formed on the cracks within his lips. He told me everything, every funny, family, happy moment that they both shared together. By the end we were both crying, I felt like I knew Shay as my own father. I finally understood.

Before we knew it, it was daytime and Danny looked an absolute wreck. Mark came in and made us all tea, extra strong for Dan. After finishing his tea he fell straight to sleep. I threw a thick blanket over him and joined Mark at the breakfast bar in the kitchen. "That was amazing, we've tried for years but... just nothing." He made me out to be some kind of hero. "I just understood, thats all." He nodded at me, knowing not to ask anymore questions. "He really was a hero, wasn't he?" Mark looked down, regretfully. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you." He stayed silent, just as I was about to leave he sighed. "He was a legend, everybody loved him. Everywhere he went led a path of inspiration. After he died his mam asked me to take care of him, it's just hard I don't know."