Dust, Blood, And Dirt

Twenty year old Sarah trudged along the dirt path, silver hair flowing behind her. The small pebbles and mud getting stuck in her combat boots; skinny jeans ripped from multiple falls. Her pale skin made it look as if she were glowing from the sun's rays. She could feel the dark magic sparking along her fingertips, shown through her fingerless gloves. Then she stopped and turned towards her two companions.

"How far is it to Sky's?" Sarah asked Momo. Momo was a 19-year-old with long brown hair and chocolate colored eyes. She wore the same purple sweatshirt, same black pants and same vans as she wore the day Sarah found her in the streets. She carried her weapon: Betty, her diamond axe. She also wore a necklace with a heart of diamond which she kept from home. It was her mothers before her dad killed her.

"Um..." Momo muttered, "I think about five miles..."

"Okay. C'mon guys we are almost there! We can't give up now!" She encouraged. They needed to get back to Sky's army. He was a friend of Sarah's and she wanted to help them in this war. The path got more dusty as the three walked on. Alison started to cough.

Ali was a 18 year old who was an orphan at the age of nine. She was born with cherry red hair for an unknown reason. She had icy blue eyes and wore a faded blue crop teeshirt, grey jean shorts and white ankle boots. She carried her iron sword and had her rainbow headphones slung around her neck.

"Sarah?" Ali questioned then coughed.

"Yes?" Sarah choked.

"I can't-" she was cut off by the coughing an gagging from the dust. It was so thick that you couldn't even see. Dust was more dangerous than sand.

"Alison? Are you all right?" Momo asked but Ali fell on the ground, choking. Sarah fell to her side immediately and patted her back.

"C'mon Ali. You can't die now!" Momo said with a small laugh of hysteria. She handed Ali some water which she gladly took. Alison took a drink and the coughing started to stop.

"O-Okay..." She sighed, "I am ok..." The three continued on. About twenty minutes later, they reached the wall which surrounded the Sky Army Base. The guards recognized them so they were let in. While in the base, they saw wounded recruits, bloodied and caked in dirt. It made Momo want to throw up but she held it down. Ali was sad for the victims. Sarah tried to ignore the sight. The three of them split up, finding their way back to their own bunk.

Sarah: Bunk 139.

Momo: Bunk 457

Alison: Bunk 721

Each one shared a bunk with a fellow general. Sarah was with Seto the Sorcerer, Momo with Jerome Aceti, and Alison paired with Mitch Hughes.

This was their life now: living in bunks, fighting, not knowing if they would survive.

Dusty, bloodied and caked with dirt.

(A/N: anyone who gets the reference with the title and the three new characters gets a Marshmallow)