10. Of Foreign Girlfriends & Victoria's Secret Angels

*Not proof read.

10. Of Foreign Girlfriends & Victoria’s Secret Angels

*Five Months Before

“She’s moving.” 

“Who?” I asked, clueless.  Brent sighed as he leaned against the porch swing at the back of my house.

“Barbara.  She’s moving to Canada.”

Oh right.  Her.  I had almost forgotten about her, but you can’t blame me, what with my grandfather’s passing and everything.

“Well you’ve always said that you wanted a foreign girlfriend.”  I tried to cheer him up.  It was true, actually.  Brent did say that he wanted a foreign girlfriend.

“She broke up with me.”  He sunk further into his seat.

I clicked my tongue.  “Well, now you can check off foreign ex-girlfriend off your list.”  I tried once again to humor him.

It wasn’t working.

I sighed and looked at him.  He was leaning so far back into his seat that the porch swing we were currently sitting on was facing slightly upward, his head was leaning against his hand, in a frustrated manner, and okay I was officially checking him out.

Best friends do not check out their best friends when they just got dumped.  Get a grip, Zoe.

“Hey, I’m sorry.” I started, but I could tell that he was upset.  “But if it’s any consolation, at least you won’t have to pay excessive phone bills.” 

Needless to say, I got a pillow chucked directly at my head.  “Hey!” I whined, rubbing the spot that he had hit.  It didn’t actually hurt, but I was feeling overdramatic and hyper. 

He broke out into a full grin and chuckled.  “Okay, let’s not talk about this anymore.” He said, retrieving the said pillow from the ground.  “Let’s talk about why you aren’t going to the studio anymore.”

Oh crap.  I desperately wanted to avoid this topic.  The studio, as we call it, is actually the dance studio where I’d been going to since I was a kid.  Dancing was my only legit hobby and the main thing that I would turn to when I was struggling with my excessive shyness.  My grandfather used to attend all of my performances, and after his passing, I couldn’t bring myself to go back.  Too many memories haunted me there.

When I didn’t answer, Brent took it as a go signal for him to speak again.  “You know your teacher’s gonna be furious at you.”

Oh yeah, that was another reason why I didn’t want to back.  My teacher, Madame Pontfait would go all batshit crazy the second I pop my head into the studio.

You do not want to see her in that state.  Trust me.

I ran my hand through my hair as I felt the cool winter winds surround me.  “Alright, alright, I’ll go back tomorrow.”

A comfortable silence settled as I took in the surroundings around me.  Christmas and New Year had just passed, and the breeze that blew threw the plants in my mom’s rose garden was cool.  I took a deep breath and reminisced about the times that I sat here with my grandfather.  It had been a little over a month, and I still missed him terribly.

“Oh no.  Are you going all depressed again?”  He said jokingly, but there was an edge to his voice that was laced with concern.  I smiled at the thought.

“No, I just like this part of the year.”

Brent looked at me as if he wasn’t convinced.  Sometimes, I hated that he knew me too well.  I let it pass as I tightened the blanket around me.  Some things were better left unsaid.