5. A Little Party Never Killed Nobody

5.  A Little Party Never Killed Nobody

*Six Months Before

“So I hear that you’re going to the dance?”

I jumped.  I knew that voice.  Freaking scared the crap out of me. 

“Cam! Hey, didn’t see you there.”  Of course he knows you didn’t see him.  You were facing your locker, idiot.  “Umm, yeah I-I-I am. Why do you ask?”

Cameron Carlson was the quarterback of our school.  A complete jock.  Also known as the player. We never really talked, except for that time when he was my partner in a chem experiment. 

That experiment totally blew up in our faces.

So imagine my surprise when I heard what he said next.

“So, you wanna be my date?”

***

“What?! Cam Carlson?!” Layla boomed. “Again, what?!”

“We all heard you the first time Lay, take it easy.”  I said, looking at her while I cautiously sat down on my bed.  She was really scary when she was exasperated.

We were all currently in my room at the moment, Me, Layla and Selena.  I hadn’t told them about the whole Cam-Carlson-asked-me-to-the-Halloween-Dance fiasco until we reached my room, you know in case, well, they’d react like this.

“Woah, okay. Relax Lay.  I’m sure Zoe said no, anyway.” She eyed me carefully. “Didn’t you?”

I started playing with my fingers at that point, I had to do something to avoid the murderous glares that were directed at me.

“Didn’t you?” Selena repeated, panic clearly rising in her voice.

I didn’t even know what the big deal was. Alright, I did say yes. Actually, I sort of blurted it out and then said “Bye! Got to go to my next class!” and ran away, but Cam is a completely alright guy.  He was handsome, athletic, and rich.  Who wouldn’t want that?

“I may have said the opposite of what you wanted me to say…” I said uncertainly.

And that was when all hell broke loose.

They both started yelling at me at the same time, which made me only get fragments of what they were actually trying to tell me.

“YOU WHAT?”

“DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH OF A PLAYER HE IS –

“I THINK WE NEED TO GET YOU CHECKED INTO THE MENTAL HOSPI – “

“ – ARE YOU COMPLETELY SURE THAT IT WAS HIM THAT ASKED YOU?!”

“WHAT IF HE TRIES TO RAPE YOU – “

 “ – COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR MIND?!”

“IT’S REALLY DARK IN THE HALLOWEEN PARTY – “

“YOU KNOW THAT HE HAS A TRACK RECORD WITH GIRLS – “

“ – I HEARD THAT HE HAS STDs!!!”

Well that one made us stop.  Selena looked downright ashamed when she saw Layla and I giving her our “what the hell” looks.

“What? I just heard, alright?” she managed to mumble out.

I sighed.  This was exactly how I imagined my friends to react. “Look, you guys, he is actually a really nice guy, and yes, he may be a player, but you know that I wouldn’t go that far with him.” I defended, “And for the record Sel, he is not a rapist.” I finished, eyeing Selena in particular.