1. Long Live the Queen

Birds were chirping quietly outside the window when Austin awoke, panicked and in a cold sweat. Without meaning to he let out a loud gasp-either that or a small scream, he wasn't sure. Either way it woke the man next to him, and when Toby saw the way that his beloved appeared he sat upright with haste, taking no time to assess the situation before wrapping his arms around him and pulling him close. There, skin to skin, he tightened his inked arms around him, moved his hands over his bare chest to feel the tepid heart fluttering just underneath.

"The Anchoress," between breaths Austin managed to get it out, let the image sift from his mind and find its place on his tongue.

"Hey," but Toby shushed him, whispered quietly in his ears with a tone that was so sweet, it probably still would've worked had the monster been standing in the room with them. "You're safe, I've got you. It's been two years now, that's long behind us."

"I know, but the dreams," the image reared to life in his mind once more, and Austin closed his eyes and concentrated on the strong arms that held him instead. Yes, it had been some time since they'd suffered her tyranny, and yet he wondered why it was then that it was only now, in the recent days, that the memories tormented him relentlessly. Even the year before, when the wounds were more fresh, there was nothing like he was experiencing now to make him shake so. "What if it's a sign?"

"A sign of what? No, you're letting it get to you. I know the demon problems haven't slowed like we'd wanted, but it's nothing we can't handle. The Anchoress is dead, we killed her, you did. Letting her still have this power over you only means she won after all. Don't let her. You know I'd never let anything hurt you, I'm going to be right here forever."

"Or at least until the end."

"No." Toby corrected him, laying back down in the bed and pulling his lover with him, turning him so that they were face to face. When Austin had first told him the truth-that he was going to die-naturally he'd been beside himself. But he soon realized that what he needed to give him was strength, to be the pillar he knew he could not be for himself. Besides, Toby hadn't quite given up hope yet. "I love you, not even death can take that away."

"I love you too." It was the only reply that Austin had. What else could he have said? He was going to die, as bitter as he was about that, there was no changing it-even if the man he loved thought there was. No, he accepted it without condition, put away the fear that his dreams put in him because, at the very least, he wanted the remaining time he had to be good. That was the dark part. Yes, two years separated him from the worst pain he'd known, but it also drew him closer to an even greater loss. It was just towards the end of the previous year he'd been given his expiration date, and the days had gone by all too quickly since.

For a moment they stared into each other's eyes, knowing that they had plenty of time to waste since morning was only just breaking. Still, Austin could feel how precious each second was, how, even though they were so tiny, each one weighed a ton and was worth a king's ransom. That was what moved him forward, caused him to close his eyes and lay his lips on those of his boyfriend and kiss him without restraint. There was no telling how far they would've gotten had they not been interrupted, but neither of them were unaware of the distinctive knock on the door.

Toby was the first to get up, slipping into a pair of loose sweatpants before heading out into the living room and welcoming in the guests. The rhythm in which she'd rapped on the door had already revealed it was Lorelei, so he wasn't surprised to see her, and he watched as she was trailed by her own paramour. They both gave their greetings to their host's back as Toby pivoted and returned to the bedroom, going to make sure that Austin was alright-that he was passed the point of shaking apart.