6. Green Eyed Monster

With an audible clang the old bandages settled into the metal basin, and once they had been removed Nina proceeded to apply the fresh ones. Toby groaned quietly, not liking to show the pain but finding that it was unavoidable. Of course she was as delicate as she could be, it wasn't her fault, but the large wound that he had acquired was very sore, and he glanced over at Austin to see the look of obvious concern on his face. The blonde stood by the door, chewing his nails as he watched their friend work, wishing he could be by his boyfriend's side but knowing he needed to give her space.

"It'll take it a while to heal, this isn't as superficial as most of your other ones. I know you're our big, strapping hero and all, but I think it'd be best if you stayed sidelined for a while, okay?" After all this time Nina knew Toby well enough, and even before he grumbled she knew he'd object.

"Yeah, thanks, Lorelei's already on it," he muttered, watching as she moved away from him, making sure that she was done before lowering himself down on his back. When Austin was also certain she had finished he made his way over to the bed, sitting in the chair next to the cot and taking his hand, laying his other on his shoulder. They were in a different part of Nina's place, a room that was carved out for inpatient treatment, where several beds were lined up with only thin dividers for privacy.

"I'm done here, take all the time you need," Nina smiled, giving them both kisses on the cheek before leaving them be. In the back of her mind she was envious of them and she hated that, hated that she couldn't just be happy for the love that her friends had. But it was so romantic, so perfect, and it was what she wanted. Only it wasn't hers, it was theirs, and she left them to it as she went on her way.

"I'm sorry I didn't believe you about the Anchoress." It was the first time Toby had talked about what happened, and he looked at his lover with guilty eyes. Truthfully he had not believed, he'd thought they killed her and it was over, but had he even had any suspicion things still would've played out the same way. He would've wanted to lie, to say it wasn't so, to protect the one he loved.

"Don't be sorry, it's okay, the only thing that matters is that you're alright." With a weary smile Austin tried to bring him some cheer, but as was his nature the only thing that plagued the hybrid's mind was more fear.

"Promise you won't do anything stupid, please? Things aren't like they were before, you can't use your powers on her-"

"I know that, trust me, I'm not going to do something stupid. Like you said, we'll find a way together, right? I've still got the charm Myrna gave me a few years ago that'll hide me from her, and I can lay low for the time being. Let's just focus on resting and getting you better, how does that sound?"

"Thanks," it truly was a load off of Toby's chest, and he breathed easy for a minute, staring up at the ceiling. "You've been here for a couple days now, you know you can go home, right? Get some rest, take a shower. I'll be here when you get back."

"That's okay, I don't want to leave you." At first Austin was adamant, but he rethought it, sighing to himself. "Well, I guess I can give you a break from me for a while."

"Hey," but after a moment Toby caught him, before he could get out of reach. He waited until he looked back at him to smile a little, if only for him, and swallow the lump in his throat. "I love you."

"I love you too. Get some rest." With a smile Austin went back to him and kissed him, squeezing his hand lightly before letting it go and leaving him. He didn't want to give up his place at his side, but he knew he'd be safe where he was, and now that their worst fears had been realized there was work to do. He hadn't lied, he wouldn't do anything rash, but that didn't mean there weren't things he could do to prepare, and as he focused his mind on prophecies and their keepers he all but ran into someone out in the hall. "Cliff?"