10. Something Wicked This Way Comes

Toby was making it hard for him to concentrate, but despite the way that his fiancé was sitting behind him, hands tight around his waist and lips moving up and down his neck, Austin did his best to focus on the work in front of him. It wasn't like he hadn't already taken care of his lover's needs, because he had, but it hadn't seemed to satiate the hybrid's appetite. Or maybe it did, maybe he just liked to hold onto him the way he was, but either way he couldn't bring himself to mind the distraction, even if he did feel like it was detrimental to his job. Since they hadn't had the time he would've preferred to look over the tablet, to compare it to the key, he'd brought it home.

"Forget that dusty old rock and come back to bed," Toby whispered the sweet temptation in his ear. Because they were already technically in bed it was clear what his intent was, what he really meant.

"Can't you wait more than an hour? Is this the kind of thing I have to look forward to when we're married?" It was a joke, and Austin turned his face to give his lips something to kiss other than his neck. "Because I could get used to it. But seriously, a little patience, I've almost got this whole thing figured out."

"Fine," with a sigh Toby tightened his grip around him, resting his head on his shoulder to look on at the tablet as well. "What did you find out?"

"It's pretty interesting actually, I mean, it's supposed to be your prophecy so I thought I would've found more mention of you, but you're barely in it. More than that, it hardly seems like a prophecy to me, it's more like a story, a beautiful love story between these two gods. Weird, right? It starts off talking about the order of the old gods, which is basically this period, a couple of millennia maybe, before time even began-before it was even created."

"Order of the old gods?"

"Yeah, apparently there were hundreds of these gods, all with powers so great that they'd be unfathomable to us, and they were all fighting for control. Control of what, I don't know, our plain of existence hadn't even been created yet. But there was Byrenion, who apparently was somehow more powerful than the rest of them, and he became a constant target. Well, in this world of mistrust and betrayal he met and fell in love with another god, Andreegys, and together the two of them fought great wars side by side. The prophecy here tells the tale of Byrenion's inevitable return to earth one day, that's what this is all about."

"But why? What does that have to do with me or the one, great evil that I'm supposed to destroy?"

"I don't know what your part is, like I said. It does mention the hybrid, but I haven't gotten far enough to know what role you play. As for the one great evil, the story tells of Byrenion's downfall, his defeat at the hands of so many of the other gods. Andreegys was devastated at his death, and swore vengeance on them and all their creations for the rest of time. The story goes that the pain and hatred that he felt caused the birth and formation of the one, great evil to keep his promise." Austin took a breath now that he'd finished recounting the tale. "That's all I got."

"Sounds like a load of bullshit if you ask me," Toby didn't seem as enthralled as his fiancé did in the old prophecy, and after a moment he smiled slyly, "but it looks like you've got a lot of it figured out, I think you've earned a break. Come on, let me reward you."

"Man, you just don't give up do you?" But Austin was laughing when he said it, and once again he turned his face to him, kissing him over and over. Then it wasn't just his face, and he turned his entire body around, pushing his lover down on the bed so he could lay flat against him, twisting his hands through his hair. In their lust they showed no concern for the ancient relics they possessed, knocking them to the floor when they switched roles, rolling over. Finally the delicate blonde broke away, panting, "so what's my reward?"