Chapter One (unedited)

Chapter One

*Rough, Rough Draft--still working out kinks. This chapter will be added on to later on in terms of description and emotion. I promise this story is still worth reading, though. *

 "Some do drugs, others go for a run, but at the end we're all just searching for that tiny space, perhaps a hole, that gives us shelter from the terrible reality of the world."

~Unknown~

After the announcement earlier, I didn't think my day could get any worse.

Unfortunately, it did.

A slight drizzle pelted my black sweater, but I barely noticed. My whole body was numb; my 'normal' life was shattered. Who knew three little words could have ruined my life so quickly? My mother had just scolded me for being dramatic. I didn't think I had overreacted. In fact, I thought I reacted the way any child would after being told their parent was diagnosed with cancer. I cried, was in denial for hours, and had eventually broken down in my room to the point of nearly punching the wall. Now that would have hurt.

My father...no. How could something like this happen to him? He was a cop. He protected the citizens. Cancer was something he did not deserve. It was all unfair. Why couldn't it have been me? No one would have noticed if I disappeared. I was a nobody. Everyone would notice if my father died. Nearly everyone in the neighborhood loved him--except my mother. She had been wanting a divorce for years, and she had an affair behind his back. Of course, she had broken it off after my father was diagnosed. 'Moral support' or something she had said.

I didn't believe her.

The wind whipped around, nipping at my exposed neck, and I shivered from the cold and from fright. How would I go on without my best friend; my dad? He was always there for me. Not even my three friends had been able to offer the support he had. My mother wasn't even close to offering that. Heck, this morning she had slapped me for crying! My cheek still stung from the impact, and I had no doubt there was a pink imprint. Now that I think about it, she had never wanted me. My father had been the one to convince her to not get an abortion. Thankfully, no one at school knew this little tidbit of information. I would have never heard the end of that. That would have made me an even bigger freak.

Sighing, I blinked away the stinging tears as the wind slammed me back. I gritted my teeth and continued forward. The streets were deserted at this time of night, as it was eleven on a Saturday. The whole neighborhood was probably out partying. After slipping out, I had seen my mother on her way to a bar with her friend, Sally, and a much too short, red dress. It was as if my father's cancer hadn't even affected her.

How could he have married such a monster?

As the rain continued, my jeans clung to me like a second skin. I continued. There was no point in going back now if my head was as blurry as a nerd without glasses. I would probably end up hitting that wall and breaking a few bones. My family didn't need that medical bill on top of what would be coming. Again, I blinked away tears and grumbled in annoyance at myself.

My father was the one with the condition. I had to be strong, whether I liked it or not. Right now, though, I didn't like it, and I wasn't going to as I trudged forward through a puddle. Maybe I would die of pneumonia. I'm sure that was what my mother wanted. Easier for her to find another husband without a daughter in the picture, I'm sure. From the start, I had never been fond of her, and the feeling was mutual.

As I came to a dead end, I cried out in frustration. If this was a creepy way of telling me that my father would be dying, I didn't want to be here. I spun on my heel, stopping right away.