Chapter Two (unedited)

"Sometimes you need to distance yourself to see things clearly."

~Unknown~

The alarm blared in my right ear, and I groaned. Why did school have to start so early? It was the first day, couldn't they have extended the hours we were allowed to sleep? Of course not, I thought. With a sigh, I slammed my fingers down on the off button, and the noise ceased. I was hesitant to get out of my warm bed, knowing I was probably a mess. My mother would never let me live that down.

With a huff, I sat up, the cold air pricking my skin. I shivered and ran into the bathroom. Quickly, I brushed my teeth, and the mint taste lingered. I washed my face before splashing it with cold water, hoping to wake myself slightly. It worked.

After drying my face, I searched around in my closet for the most hiding outfit I could find. Skirt? No. T-shirt? Nope. Dress? Ha, no. Finally, I found a pair of dark colored skinny jeans and a black sweater with a single pocket. I ran my fingers over the fabric before slipping it on. I shimmied into the jeans and snatched my black backpack from the ground, tossing it over my shoulder. With a final look into the mirror, I walked out.

Pausing at the top of the steps, I listened. My mother and father were currently arguing about--no surprise--a divorce. I sighed, rubbing my eyes. If I was lucky--which I wasn't often--I would be able to slip past without being noticed. I hesitated and ran to the nearest bathroom, which was two doors down from my room to the left. Looking at the mirror, I ran a brush through my hair, braided it to the side, and then nodded.

Once finished, I tiptoed down the steps as my mother's shrill voice pierced the air. I cringed, feeling terribly sorry for my father.

"Why not?"

"What about Kayla?" my father reasoned, and I heard her groan in annoyance.

Before I could hear her response, I grabbed my Converse and slipped out the door. Outside, I laced my shoes up and stood. Another day--another miserable day. With the oh so positive thought in my head--hence the sarcasm--I started down the driveway. It was only seven fifteen, but I would have much rather arrived early than be stuck in a traffic jam in the hall.

Leaves crunched under my feet and I was reminded of Saturday. I hadn't seen Jonathan since then--not that I had been searching for him. No, that would lead to embarrassment. What if a cheerleader saw me? I didn't want to spend my senior year as the 'stalker.' Especially not Jonathan Sterling's stalker. No, I had enough on my plate. I would let his ex-girlfriend handle that. She did a pretty darn good job.

As I walked, I hummed to the sound of leaves rustling. A few elderly people waved cheerfully at me--I was probably the only teen in my neighborhood--and grinned. I smiled back out of politeness. I wasn't in the mood for being happy, not that they could tell.

For fifteen minutes, I walked, backpack bouncing on my back. It was oddly empty, which would probably be a feeling I wouldn't feel after today. The teachers at Robertson High loved to assign homework on the first day. Being the 'good girl', I always finished it on time. I had nothing else to do.

Barking filled the air and I frowned. As far as I knew, no one in my neighborhood had a dog. It was prohibited, from what my mother said. I highly doubted her, but I hadn't argued. Pausing, I glanced around until my blue eyes landed on a cop car. My heart skipped, and I raced forward, giddy.

Dean, my father's canine companion, wagged his tail from inside the car, and I smiled. Although my mother had hated dogs, my father had one for work. Dean usually stayed at the office, though. Glancing around, I tried to figure out who had him today. My father was probably still at home. The black German Shepherd whined when I stopped patting his head.