The Monsters

Chapter 1

When I first met Julian it was because of a peculiar situation she put me in.

Every monster I would send to her at night would always return a few day later either crying, filled with self doubt, or just confused in general.

The first monster I sent to her was a night terror. He would blend in with every shadow and only creep out when you and him are just alone. His claws were as long as sword blades and his teeth as sharp as jagged cut metal. He walked with a slow limp like gant, and would be seen sometimes crawling.

He came back after just two days on the job. Silent. Refusing to go back.

The second one I sent was a cross between a dragon and a goblin. A truly ugly creature. He hid in her closet and would open it right at the stroke of midnight. His ugly goblin like face would appear from behind the clothes, and he'd open his moth and make an evil hiss and blow fire out. His tail will reach out to touch his victims, to leave them still with the feel of his slimy scales.

He too came back, but only after a day. He walked in with tears and sat down in a corner. We had to put him on babies and toddlers to get his courage back. He's still not himself.

The rest that followed all went the same. The giant venous python snake, the small evil Nomes, the horse of the undead, goat man, multiply demons of different statuses, the creepy clown, the dark vapor.

Every last monster at my disposal came back discouraged and upset.

Every monster crossed off my list, except for one.

Me.