1

I'd awoken to small pecks on my cheek. My mother sat on the side of my bed while I opened my eyes and tried to adjust to the sunlight peeking through the large windows of my room. Today was one of the good days my mom can see my before she works for the rest of the day.

"How late do you work today?"

"Until around 6, depends on when Jake's mom gets home." She tells me about the baby.

"I'll go out and pick some things up for my apartment today, do you mind if I go alone?"

"No baby, I'll leave some cash for you in the microwave. I can't believe you're heading off to Columbia, I'm so proud of you, Charli" her voice wavers near the end. I tell her to go to work before she cries again. The front door shuts and I get ready.

I think over the things I need to get at the store while I prepare for the day even though they'll be forgotten as soon as I finish. I grab all my things from the house and step in to the sleek white Audi I'd gotten as a gift from my uncle. They were paying for college and basically every major thing my mom could't afford. My uncle held sympathy for me and looked over the trouble I'd caused in my teen years.

I forget everything I was meant to get and end up aimlessly roaming around Target until I pick up everything I think I need. Including some undergarments for the (hopefully soon) someone I meet up at Columbia.

The week goes by quickly and I speak to my brother who was up at NYU over the phone a couple times. He was the only person I'd actually needed when my life and mental health spiraled downhill during my mental breakdowns. He was also the only person who was there seeing my mother was never home.

My teen years were dry of a mother, a father, and money. My mom was gone all day and when she got home she'd cook and yell at me for not helping her maintain the house. My brother was out with his girlfriend who I was thankful for. Things eventually got better, but not before they got worse, leaving me with a few scars here and there.

Friday came quickly with more tears from my mother and more happy calls from my brother. He was so happy I'd be joining him up in New York. I felt bad leaving my mom in D.C. but she'd known this time would come. My uncle got me an apartment in the city.

***

My body tensing with excitment and fear. I was passing all the streets nearining my apartment with my mom in the passengers side and my aunt and uncle following. The 4 hour car ride was calm since I'd put the music loud enough for no conversations to start. My mother was bawling her eyes out, big surprise. It was a nice change to see her happy for me. The turn into the garage of my building was the end all and I was worried my intense emotions would set off my stupid mouth. I walked hand in hand with my mother joining my aunt and uncle in the lobby. My uncle arranged things with the front desk and I straightened my posture and strutted into the elevator.

The ride up was stopped beginning to sound like a soap opera with my aunts conversation. It stopped on floor 5 and the doors opened. The elevator smelled like an expensive cologne the second he stepped in. He nearly broke the lobby button with his rough hand. He was tall, my head tilted upwards to look at the brown twists of hair and the broad shoulders a white t-shirt stretched over. My intent gaze was cut short when in the reflextion of the elevator I saw green eyes furiously staring into mine. The elevator came to a stop and the doors slid open cutting the eye contact. We slid out of the elevator into the hallway. I looked back at the beautiful boy but he was leaned against the back of the elevator with his arms crossed and his hair shielding his face.

I quickly brushed it off and heard my mother and aunt huff at the same time.

"I can't imagine having to deal with someone like that, what an awful person to be around. He was probably starting nothing but trouble. Someone like that shouldn't be here," I rolled my eyes and tried to not make a comment that would cut me a month short in rent. My mother agreed and threw a few insults at the boys appearance and how he must be.

The key opened the door to my new home. The doors opened and my brother instantly wrapped his arms around me and I did the same.

"JACOB! I'M SO HAPPY TO BE HERE THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!" The words rished out of my mouth in a mess but he replied just as quickly.

"CHARLI I'M SO SO HAPPY YOU'RE FINALLY HERE AND READY TO SEE THE WORLD AND EXPLORE AND THIS IS GONNA BE SO MUCH FUN I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!" I tried to not tear up. A little blond was stood behind him, she was a doll. My brothers girlfriend and I said our hello's and told each other how much we loved and missed each other.

***

After we'd said goodbye to my mom, uncle Geo, and Madia, Jacob and I let were finally relaxed. They'd stayed for 4 hours helping me unpack and set up and My head was beginning to spin from their company. The apartment was a dream. The floors were dark wood and the walls a bright white. A kitchen with granite counter and cabinets of the same dark wood. My dining room and living room were connected. A window took up most of the space on the wall facing the door with an incredible view of the streets below. To the left of the door was a hallway with two bedrooms on the right side of it. My room was maroon and the rest was dark wood to match the floor with white sheets. My bathroom had a large copper tub and a shower that had water coming from the ceiling. The guest room was kept plain with a pastel green theme.

My brother and I spoke about how Johanna was to me the time he was gone. Jacob was 2 years older than me so he'd left for college then. It was going to be his 3rd year at NYU. His girlfriend, Lily, knew about everything. She helped when Jacob couldn't.

"She didn't get really bad did she? You would've told me right?"

"Johanna was the same, she leaves a nasty comment here and there, nothing new. I think she's been sweet and happy-go-teary because she realized that she wouldn't have anyone to complain to or judge anymore."

"Don't say that Charli, she loves you, she's just insensitive and you know that." Lily reassured me constantly about how Johanna lacked the certain mother instinct that was comforting your child.

"Alright, well, call us if you need anything, we'll always be half an hour away. Get some sleep, it's early but you've had a long day and I know you hate being hovered. Love you" I hugged my brother and Lily goodbye.

***

Not 10 minutes passed before I decide to go out for dinner, it was only 7 and I'd built up an apetite. My place was located in between a bunch of restaurants and cafe's, thankfully. I found the least intimidating one called "Yorkolo Polo" about 5 minutes away. I ordered and sat and thought about the tall, beautiful boy in the elevator and how thankful I was for the apartment. I ate watched the people walk through the streets in a panic. It was a Friday night.

I watched a set of brown curls with his back facing me. He wore a black coat, and tight black skinny's. A phone was held to his ear. He abruptly turned around and angrily made his way towards the doors of the cafe I was in, a deep crease between his brows. I watched as he angrily hung up the phone and looked up. I was once again met with the fierce green. Unable to hold his emotionless gaze, I looked away. When I looked back up he had gone. I quickly finished the rest of my meal and payed.

I gathered my belongings as quickly as I could and tripped over the sleeve of my coat I'd draped over my arm. My face burned when I got up. All eyes were glued to my clumsy self while I rushed out of there. The cool air of September dried my sweat from the embarrassment while I stood at the crosswalk, thinking about green eyes.

A tap on my shoulder scared me. I turned to see who it was and my eyes went wide. None other than green eyes was standing in front of me.

********

This is my first fanfic that I've published holy goodness tell me if it's too much detail or s/t or if I need to add pictures I'm literally so nervous so yeah