One

"Yuri!" Viktor raised his hand high up in the air, a big smile on his face as he waved Yuri over. They were in an airport in Canada and Yuri had just gotten off the plane. Due to layovers and flight delays, they ended up taking two different flights and Viktor ended up waiting alone for four hours while Makkachin and Yuri were on their flight.

"A-Ah, Viktor!" Yuri ran over to meet his coach, adjusting his bag on his shoulder as he approached the older man. Viktor ran over, meeting Yuri halfway and enveloped him in a hug. He sighed softly, his breath gently stirring the hair by Yuri's ear and it smelled faintly of peppermint.

"How was your flight?" Viktor's low voice in his ear tore Yuri from his thoughts.

"It was..." Yuri paused, thinking back to the crowded plane, about the man speaking in furious French that sat to his right, about the woman on his right who fell asleep on him, about the turbulence that scared the living daylights out of him. "Let's just say that I'm happy to be with you right now." He murmured and relaxed against  him. Viktor hummed softly to himself.

"Me too." Viktor admits and gently pulls away, holding Yuri at arms length. "But we're here now, we're safe and together again, right? Let's go get Makkachin and head to the resort, okay? We both need a rest." It was then that Yuri had noticed the lines on the other man's face from worry, from stress, from exhaustion. It wore him out, sitting here completely alone for so long.

Yuri almost felt guilty.

------

"Why Canada?" Yuri had asked Viktor back in Russia when they were relaxing in Viktor's home. Viktor had been lounging on the couch as Yuri finished drying the dishes from dinner.

"Hm~?" Viktor lifted his head from what he'd been watching on his phone and peered over at Yuri over the back of the couch. He then smiled broadly as he met the younger man's eyes. "Well why not?"

And that was the only explanation Viktor gave for their vacation. In Canada.

Yuri looked out the hotel window, they were near one of the upper floors so the view was lovely, the sun high in the sky. The townspeople below bustling about with their lives, the residents who spoke in languages that Yuri didn't understand. Who would've thought that Viktor spoke French?

The older man was in the shower, said he needed to relax, even though Yuri thought he was taking a long time. Makkachin yawned, stretching out on the king sized bed across from where Yuri sat on the windowsill, drawing his attention to her.

"It's a good thing Viktor got a room with a bed that size, eh Makkachin?" Yuri smiled softly and went to sit with the dog, who moved her head in his lap as he scratched behind her ears. It was a peaceful feeling, though Yuri's heart fluttered in nerves. He was alone with Viktor in a foreign country, not for skating, but for personal pleasure. No paparazzi, no coaching, no competition, no competitors, just quality time.

With him.

Yuri felt heat rush to his face as he thought of what that meant. What if something happened between them here? What if they became closer? 'Well I assume we would, we're going to be alone together for a while..' Yuri laid back, covering his face with a pillow as he tried to calm his heart. It wasn't until he started dozing off that he realized that the pillow he used was Viktor's personal pillow. It smelled like him, the smell nullifying his senses, adding to the sound of the shower running, both lulling him to sleep.

-----

Yuri woke to the sound of Makkachin barking, scratching at the bathroom door, her claws having scratched some paint off the wood.

The shower was running.

"Makkachin what's wrong? It's okay, he's just taking a shower..."

The sun was near setting.

The room was darker.

The. Water. Was. Still. Running.

"Viktor?" Yuri knocked on the door, his heart already pounding. "V-Viktor..?" Makkachin continued barking, though she started whining as Yuri began to panic. He tore the door open, steam pouring out of the bathroom and fogging his glasses. "VIKTOR!" Yuri impatiently tossed away his glasses so he could see, his heart in his throat.

Viktor was laying on his back on the tile floor, twisted up in the shower curtain. His arm was draped over the side of the bathtub, his other forearm broken. The side of his head was bleeding. Yuri scrambled to his side, panicking as he checked to see if the older man was breathing, if his heart was beating.

He was alive.

Yuri took deep breaths, trying not to hyperventilate as he got up, shut off the shower, and ran to the hotel phone, calling an ambulance. He completely spaced about the common languages of this country.

He was speaking quickly in Japanese to a man over the phone who spoke English and French.

"W-Wait, sir please slow down I don't understand you!" The man over the phone tried, but Yuri didn't slow down. Yuri was getting frustrated, raking his fingers through his hair as he remembered that the Canadian usually do speak English.

Yuri began to tear up, furiously blinking away tears. Now wasn't the time to cry. 

"Viktor.. My coach.." He took a deep breath, trying to think, to relax and get the words out. He couldn't think. He couldn't think. "Injured.. My coach fell in the shower, I think he hit his head pretty hard.. A-And I think his arm is broken.."

The man seemed to finally understand, saying more words Yuri didn't register until: "Where are you?"

The question made Yuri close his eyes as he tried to remember what Viktor had said about the hotel. He quickly described the hotel, having to repeat himself slower so that the man could actually understand.

The man said something, but Yuri was feeling numb at this point. The words sounded like he was attempting to sound reassuring, professional, calm.

Yuri was anything but, his heart beating a million miles an hour as he looked over at the open bathroom door, Viktor's leg the only part of him visible to Yuri.