Chapter 9: How To Remember Your Child

Just as predicted, that day my passport and ticket got there close to eight at night. Rose and I spent the evening watching TV, telling each other childhood memories and confessing secrets we'd always been too scared to confess (well, more so she than me. I ain't scared of nothing but the three demons). I told her about the cruelties I endured as a child because of my sisters, and she told me of how bullied she was in high school. We entrusted the other with that which we held dear to our hearts, and as always, when things got too serious I would crack a joke or let out a gas.

Or beg her to let me get another cookie.

She wouldn't let me, telling me I'd get fat.

That struck a cord.

The next day, Rose helps me get to the airport. We check out early, we cry, we laugh, I fart, we eat, I steal a towel from an Asian tourist, and then I try burning Candy's phone number with a magnifying glass (stole it, too). When we reach the airport, there is only a certain point to where Rose can see me off to.

"Rose."

"Drae."

"Humming Hyena."

"Bastard."

I smile. Then I hug her really tightly.

"Rose" I whisper in her ear. She's holding unto me really tightly, like she's reluctant to let me go. "I'll miss you, you know?"

"You will?" Rose mumbles, hugging me even tighter. How can I tell her I can't breathe? But I guess this is the serious conversation she's been waiting for. I'll try to not crack any jokes, fart, or mention food.

"Rose, you... are an amazing woman. Strong, too. Not to forget mentioning beautiful." I kiss her hair. "And, if it makes you feel any better... you're the only woman that has touched my heart apart of Danni. Something about you made me open up, so thank you. It's because I came here that I reflected on many things, and also, because I came here, I can now resume my jobs as a father."

Rose is sniffling, burying her face in my shoulder.

"Where's the joke? Or the fart?" she mumbles. I smile gently, kissing her hair again. It really does smell great.

"None this time. You wanted a serious conversation, right?"

Rose is definitely crying now.

"Why does this feel like we won't see each other again?"

I have to be truthful.

"Because we probably won't. We lead different lives, Rose Hm. But if I ever come here to Las Vegas, I'll definitely search for you. And if you ever come to Buffalo, I hope you find me as well." Rose is full on sobbing. Snot and everything, too. I can feel it. But it's fine. "And maybe one day, you'll become a writer and come visit me often in New York. Or I'll switch professions and come here to Vegas and marry couples in Elvis Presley attire." Ok, I tried being serious. I really did. But I just had to say that.

"Oh, Noel." Rose snorts, smiling through her tears, making my chest tickle because of her mouth's movement. "I don't think I'll find someone like you again."

I take her face in my hands, wrenching her away from me. I wipe her tears and her snot.

"I don't think I'll find someone like you, either."

"The flight 346 will start boarding in a few minutes. Repeat..."

"Well, that's my cue to go."

Rose's eyes are watering more. Shit. I'm no good with crying women.

"I'll miss you, Drae Gallagher."