Chapter 5 - Kings Cross

When Hermione got home, she ran up to her room and looked for the story Hagrid didn't want to say. She wondered what story would be so sad, you wouldn't want to repeat it. She found it in Modern Magical History:

On Halloween, 1981, You-Know-Who went to the Potter's house. He murdered both the adults in the house, James and Lily Potter. Then he tried to kill their son, Harry Potter, who was one at the time, nobody knows why, but he couldn't. The curse rebounded off Harry and hit You-Know-Who instead, and Harry was left with a scar on his forehead. It is unknown why Harry wasn't killed.

Hermione worked out that if Harry Potter was one in 1981, he would be in her year at Hogwarts. It would be interesting to see what he was like. She started reading the rest of her books and found that Harry Potter's story was in a lot of them. If Hermione was as famous as him, she decided that she would be quite big headed.

***

Over the next few weeks, Hermione prepared for Hogwarts by reading all her books so much she could remember them off by heart and practising a few simple spells. By the end of the holiday, she could open doors, fix things and produce light from the end of her wand. Her parents were happy for her to practice by letting her break things and fix them.

Her parents were a lot more sociable with Hermione after the trip to Diagon Alley. They seemed to think that because there was a (somewhat) logical explanation for what happened, Hermione wouldn't accidentally burn them up anytime soon, or something absurd like that

***

When the first of September came around, both Hermione's parents decided to take Hermione to the station. Hermione had been to Kings Cross station many times and she knew for a fact that there wasn't a platform nine and three quarters.

She looked quite silly in a large crowd of people, with her Hogwarts robes and pushing a large trolley. When they got to the platforms, as Hermione already knew, there was nothing in-between platforms nine and ten. Hermione noticed a boy on the opposite side of the platform who was pushing a similar trolley with a trunk and cage with a snowy owl in it. He looked just as confused as Hermione felt. Hermione was tempted to give up and go home when she heard a lady in the distance.
"-packed with Muggles, of course-"

The lady who had said that was being followed by four boys, each of whom had a trolley similar to hers and the eldest one had an owl. Next to the lady was a girl without a trolley. They all had bright red hair.

They all stopped next to a column dividing platforms nine and ten, relatively close to where Hermione and her parents were standing.
"Now, what's the platform number?" said the lady
"Nine and three quarters!" said the girl "Mum, can't I go..."
"You're not old enough, Ginny, now be quiet. All right, Percy, you go first."
The boy with the owl ran towards the column and, to Hermione's surprise, went through it and disappeared
"Fred, you next"
"I'm not Fred, I'm George! Honestly woman, call yourself our mother? Can't you tell I'm George?" Said the boy called Fred. He was obviously joking.
"Sorry, George, dear"
"Only joking, I am Fred!" Said Fred and he ran towards the divider, followed by the real George. They both went through the barrier.

By now, Hermione was sure what they needed to do and tried to explain to her parents that they needed to walk through a solid wall. Hermione looked back to the column. The lady, girl and boy were gone. Hermione walked towards the wall and looked at her parents.
"Look, watch!" She said. She took a deep breath and ran towards the wall. She shut her eyes and braced herself for impact, but it didn't happen. When she opened her eyes, she was standing in front of a red train with Hogwarts Express written on the front. Hundreds of children were standing on the platform, some with parents, some with friends chattering excitedly. She looked back to the wall she just ran through to see her parents emerging out of nowhere with very confused expressions on their faces.

The sound of a whistle came out of nowhere, and Hermione looked at the clock. Eleven o'clock! The train was about to leave! Hermione joined the mad rush of children and quickly got on the train. Her parents helped her get her suitcase onto the train and shut the carriage door. She leaned out of the window and waved frantically at her mum and dad, who were trying to run after the train. She watched as the station disappeared and looked at the endless trail of railway track. Her journey to Hogwarts had begun!