Chapter 6 - The Hogwarts Express

Hermione finally found an empty compartment near the end of the train, and sat herself down on the comfortable chair nearest the window. She looked out of the window. She wondered what Hogwarts would be like. What subjects would she like? Would she like her classmates? Would her classmates like her? Would she finally, finally, have a proper friend? She looked out of the window. She presumed, by the change in tree species, that the train was heading northward. It didn't specify in Hogwarts, A History where Hogwarts was actually located, which was odd, as location was quite an important factor when writing about a building.

Hermione was jerked out of her thoughts by someone knocking on the compartment door. Hermione turned around. A small, round faced boy with short, blond hair was standing in the hallway. He looked like he was in his first year. He looked completely lost, which was odd as it's hard to get lost on a train. He was pulling a trunk behind him, and was carrying a toad.
"Can I come in?" He mouthed from outside. Hermione nodded feverishly. Maybe she was about to make her first friend! The boy struggled with the door for a second before looking imploringly at Hermione. She nodded and gestured at the boy to stand back, which he did. She pointed her wand at the door.
"Alohomara!"
The door swung open and the boy walked in. Hermione stood up.
"Hello, I'm Hermione Granger. I'm going into my first year, are you?" She said, holding out her hand. The boy nodded before nervously taking her hand
"Neville Longbottom" he mumbled. He glanced at the door "how did you do that?"
Hermione smiled.

Hermione showed Neville how to hold his wand and told him the incantation. Neville's face was screwed up in concentration, as he pointed the wand at the door.
"Alohamora!!!"
The window opened. Hermione quickly shut it, before looking at Neville's wand. He had done it right! Oh. Oops. Hermione took the wand out of Neville's hand, turned it the other way round, and gave it back to him. Neville's face fell.
"No, you were doing it right! It was my fault, really" she said quickly, handing back Neville's wand, the right way round this time. With renewed concentration, Neville pointed his wand at the door.
"Alohamora"
The door opened. Hermione applauded. Neville glowed with pride.

Hermione and Neville started talking about Hogwarts and the wizarding world in general. Hermione listened intently, hoping to absorb as much information as possible.
"Which house do you think you will be in?" asked Neville
"House?"
"Oh, sorry, I forgot. There are four houses at Hogwarts. Gryffindor is for the bravest people, and Ravenclaw for the most smartest. Slytherin is apparently where the bad kids go, and the Hufflepuffs are supposed to be idiots" he said in a rush "I bet I'll be a Hufflepuff" he mumbled.
"Don't be stupid! You're smart!"
Neville smiled weakly.
"You could be a Ravenclaw, with your brains"
Hermione told Neville she disagreed, but inside she glowed with pride.

After a few more minutes of taking, Neville suddenly turned and looked up and down the compartment.
"Trevor!" he shouted suddenly "My toad! He's gone!"
He rushed out of the compartment, and Hermione followed him. She watched him enter the compartment to their right, so Hermione went to the one on the left.

Inside was a girl who looked like a pug, two large, stupid looking boys and a smaller boy with white hair and a pointy chin. They all stared at her when she entered the compartment, which was quite disconcerting for Hermione.
"Sorry to bother you, but have any of you seen a-"
"Blood status?"
The boy with white hair had stood up and was staring at her. Hermione thought that he was quite rude interrupting her
"I'm sorry, I'm Hermione Granger, who are you?"
"Draco Malfoy" he said "And I asked you what your blood status is?"
When Hermione continued to look confused, Draco Malfoy sighed dramatically and said exasperatedly "Are your parents magical?"
"Well, no, they're muggles, but I don't see how that makes any diff-"
"Yes, I thought I smelt something bad" he interrupted. He walked passed her and reopened the compartment door
"I'm afraid you need to leave, Granger. I don't want to be seen associating with mudbloods. Goodbye"
Feeling confused and hurt, Hermione left. The moment Draco Malfoy shut the door, Hermione could hear the two boys laughing stupidly and the girl's idiotic high-pitched giggle.