Epilogue: Tris

• Dedicated to my parents, Mrs. Masteller, and Ms. Trujillo

10 YEARS LATER

Life has worked out really well for Tobias and I. We live in a large apartment in Chicago on the first floor of the old Hancock building since Tobias is still afraid of heights.

Evelyn lives a few doors down from us, and visits often. It turns out that I like her much more than I thought I would.

Shauna and Zeke are married and live in a series of rooms on one of the top floors. We're constantly going back and forth between each other's homes.

Caleb married Cara and they live at the old Erudite compound where they do scientific research for the United States government.

Tobias is the representative for the new Chicago along with Johanna Reyes, and I stay at home with our children.

Yes, eventually Tobias and I did have kids. Surprisingly, he was the one who really wanted them, but I wasn't sure I would be a good mom. Finally I gave in, and I am so happy that I did.

We have a 6-year-old daughter named Natalie Evelyn Eaton, after both of our mothers. Our son, Uriah Andrew Eaton, named after our friend and my father, is 2 years old.

Every day I am so thankful that they will grow up in a world with no factions. I will never have to worry that they will choose a different one and leave me.

And just when I thought I knew everything there was to know about Tobias Eaton, he surprised me. He is the kindest, gentlest father you can imagine. He reads Natalie and Uriah stories every night before bedtime. When he comes home from work he chases them through the old Amity orchard. Their love for him is just as strong.

And I love them more than I ever thought possible. My babies are so sweet and innocent and playful. Every day they have some new game they want me to play, or Natalie wants to help make dinner, or Uriah wants me to play catch with him.

Even on the days when I feel as though I can't go on because I have lost too many people, they are there to cuddle and ask me if I'm okay.

They remind me that I have made it through horrible things, and now is not the time to give up. I have beautiful children, loving friends, and a husband who is still as in love with me as the day were married, as I am with him. And there is always the hope of a new tomorrow.