27. Hide away

"Scandalous news. There has been a discovery on Serenity Blake's appearance, if one studies the pictures of her, there are clearly scars on her thighs and her arms. This spoils her skin so much the beauty-gurus at our firm are going crazy! Missy, don't do this to yourself sweetie, you're ruining your chances at love with Jonathan Hall, come on. How little do we really know about this little mistress? Are these caused by John, did he have a say in it? Or was it simply the cat that did it?" I read it to myself in a whisper.

In clear frustration I slap my laptop shut and just push it right off the bed. Had there not been an extra duvet right beneath it to catch it, most likely it would've gotten a painful hit. I draw my duvet up and over my head, wanting to hide from the world at the very moment.

"Nitty, I'm gonna go meet up with the others. You ready soon?" Ben asks, probably thinking I'm in the bathroom.

"No," I mange to choke out.

"I.. I'm not feeling well."

A few seconds pass in silence, then I hear him move around from the living area towards my room.

"You okay?"

"I'm fine," I say before he's even finished his sentence.

"Okay.. I'll tell them you're not feeling well then. Bye, get better soon."

The sound of the door is next to follow his fading words, and I'm finally left alone. It takes me two seconds to come up for air before I cower under my duvet again. When I think I can finally go back to sleep and sleep this day away, the sound of the door yet again is heard.

Whoever just came in isn't having any of playing hide and seek with me, and waltzes right into my room. By the time the bed dips under their weight, I know who it is and I pull the duvet down to only reveal the top of my head.

Joe strokes my hair away from my face, letting a finger trace my cheek.

"You read the next article," she says softly as she lays down behind me on my bed.

Her arm wraps around me and I scoot back into her embrace, needing my best friend's comfort. She gives it without hesitation, hugging me and just staying silent for a little until she feels like it's time for answers.

"Had we been back at home I would've agreed to stay inside and out of sight, but today I won't," she says, pulling me up into a sitting position with her.

The human burrito and the savior.

"Show them that you're proud of your scars that's shaped you into the woman you are today. Let the paparazzo photograph your gorgeous tanned ass, and don't let their bitching get to you."

~*~

"What happened to not feeling well?" Ben asks as he helps Kurt onto the boat.

Joe takes Kurt's hand and he pulls her over steadily seeing as the boat moves a bit. She helps me over first before I look over at Ben to answer him;

"Popped a few pills and slept in the car on the way here," I say with a shrug.

"Right," he replies, not necessarily believing me as he gets on the boat too.