Chapter Thirty-Nine

I'm a mess of nerves.

Styles and I are currently standing on the stage, staring at Daniel as he connects his computer to the sound system in the technical booth. We've both already changed into our respected costumes - mine being a button up shirt with a blazer while he has slipped on a t-shirt and holds JD's trench coat in his hand.

"I'm going to play the recorded accompaniment for you two, so you can still sing your parts full out," Daniel informs us, now taking a seat. "Why don't you two go ahead and get situated to start!"

Styles and I share a look before he nods at me. It's a nod that seems to say, "Remember our deal," and then we're separating to our starting positions. He lays down and uses the trench coat as a pillow while I go downstage, taking my place as if I'm standing just outside his make-believe house.

"And we begin," Daniel says, and I can hear him click a button.

The music starts abruptly and I feel my heart slam into the front of my chest.

After a few measures, I begin the song, glad to see my voice isn't shaking as bad as my hands are currently. My back is to Styles, but it's as if every fiber of my being is suddenly aware of him. I can sense him just a few feet behind me as he lays on the platform, waiting for me to come wake him up in the scene.

The belts and riffs in the song are the least of me worries as I get through the first section and now I'm moving towards my entrance into his "room," which wakes him up.

"Veronica, what're you doing in my room?" Styles says, his voice causing the buzz in my body to only become stronger. I fear at any moment my trembling knees could give out or they could carry me out of here and avoid the situation for one more day.

But I don't allow them too. Instead, I continue singing to him as I shove his character down to a kneeling position and feel Styles run his hands up my shaking legs. Although I'm not a drinker, I can't help but crave a big gulp of alcohol to help me ease my nerves. Who knows if that would even help though.

Then, like before, I get down on my knees and sing the next line to him as we're face to face.

            And you know, you know, you know. It's cause you're beautiful. You say you're numb inside, but I can't agree.

He watches me as I sing the next few lines to him, and then my heart nearly stops as he says the line signaling a break in the song.

"That works for me," he voices.

Without another passing thought, I put my hands on either side of Sterling's voice and kiss him.

Suddenly, I'm breathless.

We're both kissing each other hard, maybe even harder than we need to. But I don't care. It's a great kiss, the kind that makes my stomach instantly tingle all over the place as if someone has just let a thousand caged butterflies lose. I'm glad that I'm on my knees because if I wasn't then I'm sure my legs would have given out.

And it's all because of they way Styles is kissing me back. His hands are eager on my waist as my own hands tangle in his hair. We share kiss after kiss and I'm no longer sure where Veronica ends and I begin. I'm lost in Styles, my body feeling more alive than ever as my heart races and my blood swarms through my veins.

Somehow we've managed to continue to follow the blocking as Styles leans back and extends his legs so I can climb onto his lap and straddle him. At some point my blazer was taken off, and now it's my turn to pull Styles' shirt off of him. My fingers tremble as I reach for the bottom of his shirt, our lips breaking apart so that the t-shirt can pass between us before our eager mouths connect once more.