Chapter 4

Jack Simons was a busy man. He liked to tell people as such at least twice a day, as it seemed to make them move faster. Threatening to murder families was another favourite tactic of his. In fact, if it inspired them to speed up their errand, he would tell anyone anything.
"Benny? Come here," he yelled from his seat at the head of an unnecessarily long table. Benny ambled in, a massive hunk of Canadian flesh hired for his brawn and not his brain.
"Yes, Mr Simons?" he asked. His voice was deep and sounded uneducated. His bald patch shone in the bright light above the table.
"Check on James Ramsey. He's supposed to be here by tonight, but he's cutting it damn close. Use the business phone." Barry left, walking into the kitchen and out of Jack's sight. Jack leant back in his chair and put his feet up on the table, the decorative silver buttons on his boots shining in the light. He smiled. Everything would go his way, as it always did. James would bring him his case — he'd never failed before, not because, Jack suspected, of respect, but of fear. Benny walked back in.
"His phone rang out, boss. What do I do?"
"Just leave it. He'll come to us in the end. I know it."

. . .

"Hey 'Arry! Over 'ere!" Harrison turned from the bar, eyes weary. The woman sitting next to him dropped a tiny cube into his glass, which sunk to the bottom and began to dissolve. Harrison, finding no one seeking his attention, turned back to his drink and finished it in one gulp. Hi mouth twisted into a grimace — the drink carried a foul aftertaste. The woman sitting next to him turned away to hide a small smile, stood and walked out of the pub. Harrison turned in confusion — she hadn't even had a drink.

. . .

As the plane slowly came to a stop, passengers collecting their belongings and murmuring about their destination, James awoke from his sleep. Disoriented at first, he realised his surroundings and undid his seatbelt, standing and stretching his arms out as if he was having his arm span measured. He stepped to the side to let the man sitting next to him leave. James took his luggage from the overhead compartment and tapped Katie, who was still sleeping, on the shoulder.
"Katie? Wake up. We're here." Katie opened her eyes and yawned.
"Where?"
"Australia? Don't you remember? The place with the kangaroos and the Steve Irwins?"
"Oh... that Australia," she said with a smile.