Chapter 9

Disclaimer: Blue Exorcist belongs to Kazue Kato, The Lion King belongs to Disney, and the song cover was done by Elsie Lovelock. I posted this video to give you an idea of what the Wolf Woman sounds like when she sings.

On with the story!

That night, Holly locked herself in her assigned room, opposite of the hall where the Okumura brothers slept. Rin slept restlessly, tossing and turning in his bed and accidentally knocking Kuro off their shared pillow, causing the little demon cat to take refuge on top of the dresser. 

Rin dreamed of a dark ancient cathedral, a light film of dust lay across the marble tiled floor. The only light was from the lit candles burning on the alabaster pillars and the marble altar, the flames glowing orange, which, for some reason, felt unnerving. There was a staircase leading down into a dusty, brick walled basement. Cobwebs hung from the ceiling and the torches lighting the passageway, burning with the same orange glow as the candles. 

The hall seemed to go on forever, until it stopped at what looked like a makeshift bedroom. There, tucking a little girl into the faded raggedy bed was a woman who wore a thick black cloak. At first glance, it looked like the woman wore a black wolf mask, but on closer inspection, she had the head of a scarred black wolf. She possessed burning green eyes with a ring of yellow around the slit pupils. The little girl she was tucking into bed looked familiar for some reason, she had light tan skin and her sweet little face was framed by reddish brown hair. She looked nervous, as if she were afraid of the wolf-faced woman who slipped the worn out covers over her petite body and extinguished the candle on the small table next to the bed.  

"Now that Egin  has seen your potential" The wolf woman told the girl with an air of sinister grandiose, "This could be our chance for revenge, for respect, for glory!" Her hard, loud voice boomed through the brick-walled chamber. The little girl tried to protest, but her voice was soft and quiet. 

"Hush" the wolf woman barked, "Hush, my little one, you must be exhausted" she crooned with false pity. Then, she began to sing...

Sleep, my little wolf cub...let your dreams take wing...

One day when you're big and strong, you will slay a king

Little Girl: Goodnight

Wolf Woman: Goodnight, my little exorcist, tomorrow your training intensifies...

While the little girl went to sleep, the wolf woman ascended the stairs to the dusty cathedral singing sinister with intent in her voice.

I've been exiled, persecuted, left alone with no defense

When I think of what that crow did...I get a little tense!

The wolf woman clawed at the air when she mentioned "That crow", dancing within the shadows of the alabaster columns and in front of the statues that decorated the church.

But I dream a dream so pretty, that I don't feel so depressed

'Cause it soothes my inner puppy, and it helps me get some rest

The dream flashed to images of Satan being impaled by a pair of cutlass swords, Rin, Yukio, and the Eight Demon Kings being strung up and caterwauling in agony, and Yuri weeping tears of blood as she clawed her own face, watching it all.

The sound of Satan's dying gasp! 

His children screaming in my grasp!

His forest witch's mournful cry, that's my lullaby

The scene went back to the church. Now the wolf woman was surrounded by silhouettes of people as she continued her morbid lullaby, Coal Tars floating through the air.

Now the past I've tried forgetting, and my foes I could forgive...

Trouble is I know it's petty, but I hate to let them live!

She crushed a Coal Tar in her fist as Arthur August Angel strode up behind and started singing with her.

Angel:  So, you found yourself somebody, who'd  chase Marchosias up a tree

Wolf Woman: Oh the battle maybe bloody, but that kind of works for me 

The Wolf Woman pushed Angel aside and danced among the crowd in their wild ruckus of applause as she sang.

The melody of angry growls

A counterpoint of painful howls!

A symphony of death, oh my! That's my lullaby!

The image changed again to a man being attacked by huge, fanged monster, to the little girl crying at the horrific sight.

Jason's gone, but his daughter's still around

Once a loving little lass 

The Wolf Woman caressed and kissed her cheek

'Til she learned to be a killer!

With a lust for kicking ass!

The Wolf Woman raved as she gouged her claws into a column, leaving deep scratches. The little girl sleeping in her bed appeared, Angel was looming over her with a sneer on his face as she tossed and turned.

Angel: Sleep, you little Coal Tar!

I mean precious little thing...

The Wolf Woman swatted him away

Wolf Woman: One day when you're big and strong...

You will slay a king!

She shattered the stained glass window of the cathedral so that crimson moonlight poured in onto the sleeping girl, being surrounded by dozens of silhouettes. 

The pounding of the drums of war!

The thrill of my own mighty roar!

Angel: The joy of vengeance

Silhouettes: Testify!

Wolf Woman: I can hear the cheering

Silhouettes: Gehenna's end is nigh!

The Wolf Woman climbed through the broken window to the top of the cathedral, which had been just as Gothic on the outside as it was inside, especially under a blood colored moon, cackling wildly as she finished her song.

Wolf Woman: Payback time is nearing

And then our flag will fly

Against a blood red sky!

That's...my...lullaby