› 01

The waves rolled and crashed violently against the small boat that floated delicately above the water. Rain pelted down like mini bullets upon her skin, leaving behind invisible bruises. The woman's hair felt as heavy as stones upon her back and curtained her face as she leaned forward. Water raced down her forehead and into her eyes, nose and mouth.

A small wail seemed to pierce the sounds of thunder as the boat rocked once more. The woman shifted, revealing a small bundle of cloth wrapped around a crying child. "Shh," she quietly hushed. "Mother is here my little Kitora. It'll be alright." She cooed lovingly. The child still did not calm it's cries no matter what she did, the storm must scare her. The woman held the baby close to her chest, providing as much warmth as she could muster in order for her child to not freeze.

Lightning illuminated the sky in a brilliant flash of light, giving way to the shadow of a looming wave. The woman stared up at it in fear, lips parted in surprise. Her mind whirred for ways to protect her child because no matter what, the baby was to be saved.

With a look of determination in her golden irises, the woman raised a slender hand called to the power within her. Warmth flooded her veins, focusing In her arms to the point they glowed a bright orange.  Her arm arched upwards before slicing down forcefully, sending a large burst of fire from her fingertips.

The small boat she occupied rocked violently back and fourth from the force of the wave dispersing. If she did not hold onto the sides of the boat tightly, her and the child would surely capsize. The baby's wails intensified the more they swayed and the woman did her best to calm her.

For hours they continued on for days on end, lacking in both food and energy. Just how large was the sea? The woman held tightly to the bundle of unimaginable joy in her arms—the last bit of her hope resting within her.

"I will keep you safe," she promised. "But you must hang on a little while longer my Kitora. You must know that every storm will end."

Another bolt of lightning struck the turbulent waters—not even fifty feet from them. The water exploded in larger waves that loomed once more over them. This time, the boat really had tipped over and the woman went toppling out with a surprised cry, holding her child protectively.

The woman tried her best to get them above water as quickly as possible but the raging tide pushed her to the depths viciously. A sudden unimaginable pain blossomed in her head as she was thrust upon a blunt rock in the sandy floor. But if she had hit her head on the rock floor...did that mean they were close to land?

Ignoring the pain, the black haired woman pushed off the floor and pumped her arm quickly and forcefully. Her child would surly drown at this rate! She had to get above water quickly!

Fear rose in her throats and panic rushed in her veins as the world grew darker and her desperation grew with every passing second. It felt like forever when she finally broke to the surface—her baby raised far above her own head—but it wasn't over yet. She was going to pass out.

If she failed to stay conscious all her efforts would be for naught...

"Please save her!" She pleaded to the gods she believed in and worshipped without fail. "I'm begging you. Save her!"

It seemed as if the storm had swallowed her pleas just as greedily as the boat. She was not afraid of the blackness that took her vision nor the creeping hand of death itself. She was afraid of leaving her child without guidance—to grow up without the love desperately needed to maintain the light of the stars.

Please...

Her eyes had closed completely and her grip loosened upon the crying child unwillingly. Fear enraptured her entirety. What she didn't register though, as she slowly sank, was the gentle transparent hand that gripped her wrist and kept the child afloat.