Chapter 31

It was 5pm and we were all sitting in the hot trailer eating take out. I twirl my noodles around my fork and sigh. "Jade, you haven't eaten more than a bite. What's wrong?" Mom asks looking at me. "I'm-ah never mind. I'm just tired." I say realizing she doesn't care. Her attention is back on stupid August as he talks about something I don't care about. Distracted and unhappy, I get up from the little table and go outside, leaving my food on the table. I walk a little bit into the woods and sit down. Why is my life like this? I never asked for such a complicated and hectic life. I let out another huge sigh before walking back into the humid metal box that I'm being forced to live in. Mom and August must be in their bedroom. I decide to clean up a bit. I dump my noodles in the trash and realize I shouldn't clean their home- it isn't my responsibility. I plop in a chair and pull out my phone, and getting distracted. A while later I check the time and see it's now 9:38pm. As quietly as possible I go into the bedroom and see both mom and August are asleep. Without hesitation I grab all of my stuff and run into the woods as quickly and quietly as possible. Once safe I whip out my phone and dial a number I know by heart. It rings once before answering. "Jade? Where are you? Are you okay? What's going on?" Dad bombards me with question. Finally he actually cares for once. "Dad, I'm fine. I'm in the middle of the woods with mom and her hippie boyfriend that live in a trailer, can you come get me?" I ask him desperately. He sighs before answering. "Sure, I just don't know where you are. There's a lot of woods, you could be anywhere." He's quiet a minute while he tries to think of something. "Wait! I'll use Google maps or something and I'll send you my location." I tell him excitedly. "That's my smart daughter!" He tells me before we quickly hang up. I finally figure out where I am and send the info to my dad. Now I just have to wait for him to get here.....