1

“I'm kind of nervous though Uncle Pete. I mean I knew people at the LAPD from daddy, but at the CHP I don't know anyone.” Erika was saying as she made a sandwich for one of her sons; the phone resting on her shoulder.
      “That's not true. What about the time we were on the freeway,you were about seven, and you pointed out those two motor officers. What had you said… oh yeah ‘Oh they’re cute!" the older officer joked using his best female voice. "Uncle Pete you would make a horrible girl!"
      Erika loved uncle Pete. Peter J. Malloy was an officer at the Los Angeles Police Department. He always made her feel better. Of course Uncle Pete wasn't her actual uncle but he had been a partner to her father before he died and they were as close as brothers. Pete was the third person to hold Erika as a baby and often had trouble giving her back.
     Erika had been an officer at LAPD for three years, until now. Her original goal was to work at the CHP as a motorcycle officer and now she finally had a chance! But it was kind of nerve wracking seeing as she admired everything about the CHP.
      “Really though you’ll be fine and I'm sure they'll be impressed by you. You're a good officer and don't you forget it. Alright?” soft laughter came from the other end of the phone as Erika replied, “Thanks Uncle Pete. Love you”
“Love you too. Right. Bye bye”
Pete hung up the phone.
     “Erika?” Jerry Woods asked with his arms folded.
     “Who else would he say he loved” Ed Wells, Erika's former partner, replied without looking up from his report, “Although I'm not sure why”
      Jim Reed chuckled as he watched the scene. “Well Ed Erika says that she doesn't miss you a bit and that she wishes the rest of us well” Pete replied settling down with a cup of coffee. The small group laughed. “No she says she's a bit nervous about going to the CHP” Malloy said taking a sip from his coffee.
      “Good” Ed said. Pete and Jim exchanged amused glances.