Chapter 12

"Tamriel is in danger." Lydia said quietly as she braids my hair.
"What do you mean? Alduin is defeated—" I start.
"Alduin was simply the gods getting your attention. There is a far greater danger on the horizon. You can intervene now and stop it from happening, or you could live among us in Sovngarde and return to Tamriel when you feel the time is right." Lydia said.
"What you mean to tell me is that I could stay in Sovngarde for an entire era and never age a day, and yet still be alive?"
"Yes, exactly." She says.
I stare into the pool of water, thinking of the choice that lays before me. I could stay here in Sovngarde, this land of infinite beauty, contentment, and intoxicating luxuries of the mind. I could essentially be immortal, and return to save Tamriel at the opportune time. As I stare into the pool, I see a swirling liquid vision of the beautiful pines of Skyrim engulfed in fire, it's people slain. Then, to my horror, Ulfric being executed and my daughters running from a burning city. I would meet them again in Sovngarde, but to watch them suffer would be something I couldn't bear. I suddenly stand, surprising both Lydia and Tsun.
"I have to go back. Now." I insist. Lydia stands with me.
"Are you sure?" She asks. I gently squeeze her hand.
"I can't sit back and let them suffer." I tell her. She nods slightly. I pull her into my arms, squeezing her tightly. Her ethereal form is soft and fleeting, like a bird.
"You were more than a housecarl, Lydia. You were a dear friend, and I will never stop mourning you." I tell her.
"When you have completed your count of days, I may welcome you again with glad friendship, and bid you join the blessed feasting." Tsun says, laying a gentle hand on my shoulder. Gormlaith, Felldir and Hakon have appeared behind him.
"A shield-sister will we welcome home, when the day arrives." Hakon says, his companions nodding in agreement. Even Kodlak steps forward, more clear-eyed than he was before.
"Make us proud, lass."
"I'll be waiting for you." Lydia says tearfully as she lets me go. I take a few steps back from them.
"I'm ready." I tell them. Tsun inhales deeply, readying a shout.
"Nahl, Daal Vus!"

~

Once again I'm thrown into the searing painful light as I'm falling back to the mortal plane. I've been in so much pain in the time since I left, and as I enter the realm of night and day, I feel the exhaustion taking over. I feel myself slam into the ground again with such a force that it could shake all of Tamriel. I hear the familiar low whine of the wind thrashing around me, and cold, numbing snow against bare skin. I sit up, my joints aching with cold. I stare around the bleak gray sky, and realize that outside of Sovngarde, it's hard to make sense of everything that's happened. My knapsack, which I assumed had been lost at some point on my way to Sovngarde lays next to me, half buried in snow as if it's been laying here for weeks. Wuuthrad lays next to me as well, the snow scattered around it.
Vaguely I hear the distant cry of a dragon and I reach for the axe, but then it occurs to me that I'm too weak to stand, much less pick it up. A bit of the blizzard clears, and Paarthurnax lands just in front of me; thank the gods it's just him. He gets closer than he's ever been in the time I've known him, sniffing me cautiously with his warm breaths. I hear other dragons in the distance, not attacking, but watching curiously.
"Do not let your weakness show, Dovahkiin. They look to you; You are the eldest sister now." He says.
"Eldest? I'm younger than any of you—" I start.
"But you are stronger than all. Do not let them question you." He says, nudging me with his nose to stand. I force myself to stand, look each of them in the eye. I can feel their fear, their confusion of having lost their leader from the beginning of time.
"Qiilaan wah hin Jud!" Paarthurnax shouts in the dragon language, but I hear every word clearly; he's just called me their queen. The dragons lift away from where they're perched, landing in the snow around me and bowing their large heads. Among them is Odahviing, his red scales glimmering even without sunlight. I pick up my knapsack in one hand and Wuuthrad in the other, and sit down on his neck just behind his horns.
"Take me to High Hrothgar." I tell him quietly, staring down each of the dragons as he lifts into the air. I have to admit, if these are the only dragons left in Skyrim, their numbers are few. Have I really killed that many?
Odahviing lands in the courtyard of High Hrothgar, and Arngeir stumbles out of his meditation with a start. The dragon gently nudges me until I land in the snow.
"Dragonborn?" Arngeir says incredulously as he walks toward me and Odahviing flies away.
"I'd like some clothes, please." I tell him before I feel the exhaustion take over.