Twelve

Lizzie's heart pounded as she approached the rendezvous point. James was the only one standing there, rocking uncomfortably on his heels as he kept his arms locked around whatever it was he was carrying. When he heard her, Ace and Sterling's boots padding softly down the corridor and turned, she nearly fainted. Hanging limp in his arms was Alyson. There were no signs of Sterling's siblings.

Lizzie expected to see some sort of relief on James' face because he was no longer alone, but this was not the case. His skin had paled and he looked like he could be sick.

"What the hex happened?" Ace asked in the loudest whisper Lizzie thought she had ever heard.

"Alyson..." James began, but it seemed he would never finish his statement. His jaw hung, ready to say more. He stared hard at her, deep in thought. "I... I don't think she was hurt," he finally said, "just knocked out."

Lizzie reached forward to feel around Alyson's skull for any injuries, but a slight jerk of James's arms pulled Alyson just out of reach. She didn't attempt to move any closer. She understood why James might be worried. After all, they'd failed their mission and something had happened to his partner. However his defensiveness was uncalled for.

Lizzie hadn't heard Attacus and Dottie approach at all, but she could tell they were there because Sterling's little fingers tightened around Lizzie's, and she could hear Ace telling them the same thing James had just told them. Lizzie's hurt expression stayed apparent on her features even after she stopped staring at James in confusion and disbelief.

"Where are Ivory and Ash?" Attacus questioned James.

"Escaped," James responded instantly. Lizzie noticed his Adam's apple bob with a hard swallow. "I don't know where they went, but they likely fled the premises, if they weren't caught."

Attacus' only reaction was a twitch of his cheek before he shifted his focus to Lizzie, and the scared little princess huddled at her side. "Hearts," he said, then grinned, impressed. "Great job."

Lizzie saw Sterling glance quickly up at her, confused when Attacus didn't address her as Princess Lizzie or Your Majesty.

"And Ace, obviously. How could we forget about you?" Ace added sarcastically. She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.

"You didn't even do anything,"James spat.

"Did too. Maybe if you'd had a lookout, we'd have all three White children right now," Ace argued.

James concern had changed back to his usual hardness and despise, though he still carried Alyson protectively. His jaw worked as he prepared a comeback, but Attacus cut him off before he could.

"This is not the time," he told Ace and James. Then he knelt in front of Sterling. "Hello," he said to her in a gentle voice. He held out his hand, and Sterling had to peel one hand away from Lizzie's and still hesitated before taking it.  "I'm Attacus Blue, and me and my team here are going to take care of you. I am honored to meet you, young princess. I'm sorry we failed to reunite you with your brother and sister."

He was still taller than Sterling, even on his knees, and she stared up at him, unsure whether or not to trust him. When she glanced at Lizzie, she made sure to give a reassuring nod. It's okay, she mouthed, he's a friend. It was clear to Lizzie now that her true persona held a lot of weight, and Sterling's automatic trust of no one else but herself tugged at her heart just a bit.

"Hello," Sterling said quietly.

Attacus stood but continued talking down to the little girl. "You've taken quite the liking to Hearts. If you feel most comfortable with her, that is not a problem. Anything you need, you can just let any of us know."