The worst day ever.... [Chapter four]

The previous day, I had finished packing my parent's house. My brother's room was the last to be packed. With the help of Darcy, I had gotten his room all done in a matter of six hours. She had wanted to keep a lot of his shirts and shorts to sleep in, as well as the photos of the two of them together. Those were things she was entitled to. She was, after all, his girlfriend. They had been together for two and a half years. But, they had known each other for even longer. Darcy had been my best friend since the first day of kindergarten. When she needed a place to sit on the bus and the only place was the seat next to me. She'd been my first real best friend. She was also my longest friendship.

Overall, we had had a very good and productive day. We had shared memories of the three of us growing up together. We had laughed about the funny events in our lives and had cried about the sad events. We had reminisced about our pasts and it had been fun. Even though I had been a little dad about finally having to close up the house door good, Darcy was there to comfort me and make me better. She gripped my hand tight, when we'd packed the last box.

The next day I had to endure the funeral of the three most important people that had ever been in my life. Staring at myself in the bathroom mirror, I tried to decide what to do with me hair. Finally, I decided to curl it and go for the natural make up look.

After finishing this, I evaluated the outcome. A knock sounded, Drake, most likely. It didn't matter if I was ready to face the world. The time had come. My parents and brother had to be buried, and I would never see them again. Well, I would if I went to the cemetery where they'd be buried.

"Tash, you ready? We don't want to be late." Drake asked. The door creaked open behind me. His eyes widened when he caught sight of me. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks. That means a lot. What do you like the best?" I asked as I applied a coat of strawberry lip gloss. 

"There isn't just one thing that I like. I like all of it. You look amazing." He smiled. 

After spending an hour in my closet that morning, I had finally decided on the black strapless dress. The dress that my mother bought for me two months before she died. She'd saved up six months of money to buy it. She had been with me when I fell in love with it. This being the first time I had worn it, made me feel horrible. I frowned and stepped away from the mirror.

Drake looked handsome in his black suit with the white tie. He had showered, and his hair was neat and tidy. His muscles showed through the sleeves of his white shirt, his black tribal tattoo on his bicep showing right through. I hardly recognized him. He could clean up good when he wanted to.

Nodding my head in response, I grabbed my cell and left the bathroom. My flats were in front of the bed, just waiting for me to slip them into my feet. I slipped them on my bare feet. Dread filled me more and more with every step I took down the stairs.

Lila and Richard waited for us in the living room. They were both dressed in black. Lila had in black dress pants and a fancy dress shirt. She hair was down and straight, making her look ten years younger. Richard had on his suit. He looked handsome. I gaped at him as I continued down the stairs. He had cleaned up nicely, as well. He looked like the grandfather, I remembered at my graduation. I'd missed that look. I ran to him and hugged him tightly, taken in the wonderful scent of his old spice cologne.

We arrived at the funeral home an hour early to get the picture boards set up. My heart broke more and more with every second that passed. Sitting in the front row between Drake and Lila, I thought about what I would say when the time came for me to speak.

Finally, when the service had started, I had decided it would be something short and sweet. I just hoped that I would be able to finish what I had to say before I began bawling my eyes out. My palms began to sweat as I thought about the speech. What if I collapsed in front of everyone?